Adding a processor

Old 11-03-05, 05:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding a processor

I am getting a computer for parts and i was going to take the RAM, etc. I will have the processor from that computer and i was wondering if i could add an extra processor(2.4ghz) to my existing processor(2.8ghz). I know cooling wil be an issue. Is there any way i could do this? And if there is how would i get enough cooling power in there.

Old 11-04-05, 01:26 AM
MKISSEL
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up One Speedy Pc Danman

DON'T KNOW FOR SURE IF THAT WOULD WORK, BUT A 5.2 GHZ PC WOULD BE AWESOME!!! GOODLUCK FROM SOMEONE WITH MORE KNOWLEDGE.

Old 11-04-05, 01:59 AM
C
Sorry, this cannot be done without a motherboard that supports dual processors...they are quite expensive too (as opposed to standard motherboards). Even then, the processors must be exact matches.

Dual processor motherboards are generally only found in servers and high-end workstations.

If you wanted to build a second computer, you could buy a "barebones kit" from an online retailer pretty cheap you could use this processor and perhaps the RAM as well in it. Check out Pricewatch for good deals (not a retailer. Simply a site that lists cheap tech prices.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-05, 12:13 PM
D
Would it be possible to get something like a processor "router" to get both processors into one port. They are both p4s from dell.

Old 11-04-05, 01:24 PM
C
No. Two processors require two slots, and, again, must be identical even then.

Old 11-05-05, 08:39 AM
J
..and you must run an OS and use applications that recognize and can utilize the 2nd processor. Relatively rare on desktop PCs. Unless you're predicting the weather, calculating ICBM trajectories, or rendering super-high quality video or graphics, a second CPU is worthless.

For the most part, desktop PCs are not processor intensive. Adding a 2nd CPU would be like adding another engine to your car. There are so many other variables in the mix that if you didn't also upgrade or update them, the 2nd engine is not only useless, but would add a totally unwarranted level of complexity. And the first engine is loafing most of the time anyway.

The easiest and most cost-effective way to "speed up" a PC is to add as much RAM as your motherboard will support. Ultimately, the PC's biggest bottleneck is hard drive I/O, and the less your CPU and memory subsystem has to look to the HD for data, the chippier it will be.

Old 11-05-05, 11:37 AM
D
So I should add more ram. Would it be cost effective to sell the two processors that i have now and buy one that is faster?

Old 11-05-05, 03:34 PM
tae
you are going to be limited by so many things....if you buy a faster processor, would it fit/work in the existing motherboard? they only allow certain pin types and certain speeds. you cant just add any old part to any old computer. it just doesn't work that way. each part requires another specific type part in order for it to function. cost effective sounds like taking both computers and selling them and buying a new computer.

Old 11-11-05, 11:42 AM
C
Originally Posted by DanMan2991
So I should add more ram. Would it be cost effective to sell the two processors that i have now and buy one that is faster?
2.8 Ghz is getting neat the top range of 32 bit systems, so IMO, it wouldn't be worth the trouble to upgrade the CPU IMO. The next logical step would be to upgrade to a 64 bit system, which would require a new motherboard, as well as a CPU.

You might be able to upgrade your peripherals, namely upgrade to SATA-RAID, and a faster graphics card.

Old 11-11-05, 03:56 PM
D
i have been looking into getting a new graphics card. what would be some examples of a graphics card faster than a radeon x300 series?

Old 11-12-05, 06:58 AM
G
If you're going with a new machine Serial ATA is a nice option, since it's going to replace PATA eventually. As for RAID, there's really no need to use it in a home desktop setting.

If you're going to build a machine, here's a heads up:

If you use Serial ATA with Windows XP be prepared to take some extra steps to get Windows installed. You'll need to make sure you install a floppy drive in the machine so you can load the SATA drivers in order to actually install Windows XP on the hard disk. You'll most likely need another functioning computer to transfer the files that come on the motherboard's CD to floppy disk also.

Old 11-12-05, 03:30 PM
tae
If you use Serial ATA with Windows XP be prepared to take some extra steps to get Windows installed. You'll need to make sure you install a floppy drive in the machine so you can load the SATA drivers in order to actually install Windows XP on the hard disk.
well, I format and reinstall my xp every so often, and I don't need any sata drivers for everything to work. of course, everything came sata ready. It's not like a couple years ago when sata was new and xp was sp1.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: