Mac or PC?

Old 11-04-05, 12:46 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mac or PC?

I need help deciding between PC laptops and Mac Powerbooks. Will be used mainly to surf internet, occassional viewing DVD's, and maybe editing home videos in the future--just got a digital camcorder and our first digital camers. Current computer is a desktop PC with 40 gig hard drive.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-05, 04:45 AM
M
Red face MAC or PC

This is a question quaranteed to start a debate. I believe this is a personal choice as both platforms have prooven themselves to be reliable.

Many will argue that MAC is more secure since virus are written for window PC machines. Many will argue that PC platform is better as many applications are avaulable only for PC, but MAC equivalents are available.

I run a Linux box here with similiarities to MAC and although satisifed I do miss some of my familiar Microsoft applications, and find the equivalent programs sometimes to be lacking in familiar features. I can say the stability of Unix based systems is great but in spite of what the UNIX fans say I have had Linux lockups. I also have an XP machine that has never required a reboot except for OS updates.

MAC has always been a choice for many graphics designers as they seem to feel it is a superior platform for that type of work.

So in a nutshell this is the classic Ford/Chevy debate and is only something you can decide. If possible do some google searching on your topic and see what comes up.

Good luck with your decision and if possible go to a retailer and play with each platform and see what drives better for you! Ford or Chevy, who knows?

Old 11-06-05, 09:30 PM
D
Thanks for your reply mowfixer. Are there anyone out there who has both PC and MAC? If you had to part with one, why would you keep the other?

Old 11-07-05, 10:17 AM
A
I have 3 Windows pc's and love them. I have used MAC numerous times and don't care for them at all. Personally, I'll never own a MAC. That's my $0.02.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Old 11-08-05, 02:16 AM
M
Red face MAC or PC

I was looking into your question and here is a site that might be of interest to you.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...?oneclick=true

Old 11-10-05, 09:15 PM
D
I own both computers. I grew up using apples in school and hated them because they weren't like the PC I had at home. I have bad mouthed Macs for as long as I can remember. I also said I would never own a MAC. My wife is a graphic designer, so she convinced me to let her buy a Powerbook. We now own two Macs and my pc is only used when I have no other choice. There are a couple little programs I use for work that currently are only offered on windows platform. (DOS, we upgrade next year and it won't be an issue)
For the needs you described, you would be fine with either. I personally have moved towards Apple. Not only are they great machines but they look good too. I have nothing against PCs but even for a lifetime pc user macs are a delight to work with.
I personally have encountered very few programs I need that aren't available to macs.
All Macs come with firewire which you will need to do your video editing. I haven't seen many pc laptops with firewire.
You'll be fine either way.
Bryan