Motherboard Issues

Old 11-08-05, 08:35 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Motherboard Issues

I recently upgraded the RAM in my computer however after installing I think I may have shorted my MB because now the power supply fan will run and the light comes on but thats all. I removed the MB and I could here everything power up. So, am I right in thinking I shorted the MB and if so, can a shorted MB be repaired?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 08:59 AM
M
MB Problems

It is unusual to cause motherbord problems by simply installing ram. I assume you had the computer unplugged when you did this. I have seen several cases like yours.

I assume you have tried it with the new memory removed and old installed? Was it the correct RAM for your MB?

I have seen motherboards that were not installed properly and the act of pressing on the board to install RAM made it short out supply. This was usually due to metal mounting studs under the motherboard in the wrong place or metal studs where there should be plastic.

It is not impossible though that something has failed on the board. Make sure all cards plugged into slots are in all the way and all cables are hooked up.

Old 11-08-05, 12:09 PM
P
I have noticed that the fan on the processor does not run as well, also with everything except the HD connected I get power but nothing works and when I connect the HD I get just the power supply fan.
And yes the unit was unplugged and I have tried it with the original memory sticks and the problem is the same.

Old 11-09-05, 07:05 AM
Are you getting any beeps or LEDs when you power it on.

On the motherboard itself, there is normally some leds that are sort of imbedded on the motherboard. They will light up if the motherboard is getting power properly. But this is tough to realize unless you knew they were there already.

You said the powersupply fan and the light comes on, which light is this?

How old is this PC and what make is it? Some motherboards are rather picky with changing anything. You can trying clearing the CMOS on the motherboard. That is usually one of the first things I try when something like this happens.

As a test, take out the newly installed memory and power the sucker up. What happens at this stage? The power supply fan goes on, do any other fans power up, any LEDs, beeps?

It is uncommon that changing the memory will short out the motherboard, but it is possible. Did you make sure you touched something metal before starting. You always see the warning about static electricity that most people ignore. Everyone once in a while it can do some damage.

Old 11-09-05, 09:10 AM
P
There are no beeps or LED's, except the green one in front which is on the power switch, when the unit is plugged in. The computer is a compaq presario and its probably about 5 or 6 years old. I removed the new memory but the situation didn't change. Now as far as clearing the CMOS I have never actually done that but it's worth a try I guess. So how exactly is it done?

Thanks

Old 11-09-05, 09:22 AM
Clearing the cmos depends on the PC, you can check the manual.

Usually its two options. There will either be a small button on the motherboard itself that says CMOS. Or you will have to use a jumper connector. Either way I am sure its labelled on the motherboard in a hard to reach place in very small letters.

If its the button, this is the easiest option, you just press the button with the power cord plugged in but the PC not on. Release the button and start up the PC.

If its a jumper, you need to move the jumper so that it is in the clear CMOS position, usually the jumper sits on 2 of 3 pins. The middle pin plus one other, you just move it so it covers the other pin plus the middle one.

You should have to move it and then plug in and power the PC on for a seconds, then unplug the PC and put the CMOS back to normal.

Clearing the CMOS will default a bunch of settings, so if the PC powers up you will have to reset the date, time and any other bios settings that you had changed previously.

Good luck and hope this helps