What is correct placement of switch?

Old 11-08-05, 11:59 AM
B
bobboroo
Visiting Guest
What is correct placement of switch?

I'm modding my computer and want to put an on/off switch on the "hot" side of the 120 volts going into the ac/dc converter. I have to do this "at the converter, rather than the power line. Unfortunately, the spade plugs of the converter are the same dimension so larger/smaller doesn't identify the hot lead. I don't have any tester--but assume there is a "standard" arrangement for the this?

Anyone know what it is?==looking at the converter then there are two spade extensions (left and right) with another spade connection slightly higher and in the middle. I assume the middle spade is the ground?

I've googled and can only find "testers" that confirm the polarity but don't say which spade is positive and which is neutral or ground.

thanks. ((Picture would help but hopefully if you know the answer, you don't need the picture?---smile!))

Last edited by bobboroo; 11-08-05 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Set notification
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 03:10 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ok, you are talking about where the power cord plugs into the power supply on a desktop computer?

Old 11-08-05, 04:06 PM
J
Received 201 Votes on 178 Posts
If you take a power cord for a PC and look at the computer end with the center pin up the right slot is the hot one. That means the left pin on the PC is the hot one.

Old 11-09-05, 07:02 AM
B
bobboroo
Visiting Guest
I'll rephrase==standard computer ATX power supply with the center pin slightly higher than the left and right one ((power supplies come with the middle pin both higher and lower))==which pin is the hot one?

The following site has a picture of the unit in question==expand it for a better look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182001

Thanks ((and sorry for the extra effort)).

Old 11-09-05, 08:23 AM
R
Look at the end of the cord. Many are labeled. However, joed gave you the answer. You could also find the answer with a voltmeter or with a simple neon tester, both of which you should have if you are going to be doing this kind of work.

Old 11-09-05, 06:10 PM
B
bobboroo
Visiting Guest
Joed==I follow your answer when you say the right plug is the hot one--but then I get lost when you say that makes the computers left pin hot. As I would describe the scenario==there is only one set of pins.

Racraft==Thanks--I got a magnifying glass and a spot light and the cord is labeled==the left socket (female connection) has the letter "n" by it and the right socket has the number "8" and the letter "L". Don't know what that might stand for and it might be Chinese? There are some SA reference numbers as well, and I will google them.

Yes, of course, if I had the test equipment I could find out==but I don't have that and don't want to buy it for this one very simple project. I'm sure the answer is there somewhere and right now if I had to guess, I would use the first part of Joed's answer and go with the right pin.

I like asking this type of question because often I get collateral responses that are quite interesting. Any other thoughts?

Old 11-09-05, 11:09 PM
tae
there is the power cord,which plugs into the wall on one end and plugs into the power supply in the computer on the other end, and then there is the power supply in the computer, which the power cord plugs into.

he means: when you are looking at the plug on the cord(end that goes into computer) the right side will be hot...when you put that plug into the computer(power supply), it makes it on the left side .

look at the plug,put your finger on the right side, then put it to the computer...your finger will be on the left side of the plug/power supply.

you'll see.

Old 11-10-05, 04:32 AM
R
The N means neutral. The L means line. The center hole might have an E for earth (ground).

Old 11-10-05, 07:33 AM
B
bobboroo
Visiting Guest
Thanks all==I think we are there. Looking at the computers psu the LEFT pin is (hot, live, line, positive). I found the following website that is consistent with this though still not stating it straight out. I was pretty sure of this once I got the magnifying glass out and found the labels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesti...lugs_&_sockets

Well, the smoke test is next even though in my particular case I don't think a short is very likely so even if I get it wrong it won't be too risky (smile).

thanks for the extra patience. I pity the poor Chinese==they even label their products and we newbie's still "don't get it!" Thanks again. ((and yes, I'll try to get a meter when they are on sale as I plan to do a bit of this in the future.))