Maxtor 32049H2, high CPU utilization

Old 11-09-05, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maxtor 32049H2, high CPU utilization

Maxtor VL 40, 20gb version, 5400rpm, 2mb cache

I had a computer handed to me, was loaded with nasties, one of the notable problems was that it was as slow as a snail, and was definitely an I/O issue.
(550mhz, 256ram etc.--was reasonably effecient, still is with a 'good' HDD)
A full reformat and clean install several times with different versions of windows resulted all the same in that the CPU experiences high utilization for some unknown reason.
I pulled the drive, put it in two others computers to experiment with clean OS installs, found that the drive is indeed the problem. If it is a slave, not being the active host drive for windows, but rather just additional storage, this phenominon does not occur.
The problem is definitely not drivers or jumpers.
My guess is the firmware in the drive.

Firmware for Maxtor drives seems to be a impossible to pin down any good information on, let alone actual firmware images and the flash utility.

The drive is going to go to the recycle if it does not get rejuvinated, if I can make it useful, it will go to a non-profit I am involved with to replace one of their old groaning 4gb disks.

gj

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 10:42 PM
C
Sounds to me like that hard drive has a boot sector virus. That would explain the lack of problems with it as a slave (PC doesn't look at the boot sector unless it is booting off the drive).

Rewriting the master boot record should fix this. With the drive alone in a system, try booting from a DOS (or Windows 95/98) boot disk that has the FDISK utility copied to it. Once you are at the A:\> prompt, type "fdisk /mbr" (no quotes).

If you still have problems, go here for diagnostic tools from Maxtor.

Old 11-10-05, 02:19 AM
M
Red face Slow Hard Drive

There are some free DOS utilties that will completely wipe a disk clean. You might want to go find this and wipe the entire disk re-partition and format then do clean install. No virus can survive this procedure.

I have seen several virus that can survive FDisk.

If that doesnt work contact the drive manufacturer. Maybe the drive has a hardware problem and might still be under warranty.

Old 11-10-05, 06:35 AM
Using another disk as the master (C:\ providing boot), and this one as the slave, and providing Windows, the problem remains.
I already have the PowerMax floppy, (fyi: It produced no error codes),
Will give it a low-level format tomorrow, and post back afterwards.
gj

Old 11-10-05, 06:43 AM
A
fdisk /mbr will almost always do the trick.

There are programs that will zero-fill the drive - writing zeroes to all sectors. This basically returns the drive to factory condition data-wise. This will certainly get rid of any viruses on the drive.

Just be certain to use a VIRUS FREE bootdisk. You can download a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. You just need a blank floppy disk.

Old 11-13-05, 05:19 PM
Zero-filled the drive, no improvement. Even did it twice.
I cursed another maxtor harddrive by connecting it to the same cable, now this drive has the same problem even when connected to the cable with no other drive.
BIOS settings are not to source, not jumpers, not the IDE controller, not the cable, not a virus on the actual 'disk'.

I'm baffled. gj