upgrading from Windows 98 to XP

Old 11-13-05, 04:52 PM
Brownthree
Visiting Guest
upgrading from Windows 98 to XP

I am attempting to upgrade my 5 year old Hewlett Packard Presario from windows 98 to windows XP. The upgrade report indicates my modem (MSP3880-U 56k) may not be compatable with Windows XP. What does this mean and what do I need to do? This does not sound like good news to me. I use a DSL connection to access the internet. Any suggestions would be be welcome.

Thanks!

Old 11-13-05, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
from the looks of it, there is a driver download for the modem you have in order to make it work with XP.. I just typed in MSP3880-U 56k at the google site and it popped up with where to get the drivers..

Old 11-13-05, 05:24 PM
If you use DSL, the 56k modem is irrelevant anyway. It only serves as a backup if your DSL provider offers dial-up provisions as a backup means of connection for travel or emergencies.
If the machine has enough RAM etc., then there should be no reason to not make the transition.

Old 11-13-05, 05:25 PM
R
If you have a DSL connection your modem is irrelevant. Modems are for dial up connections (and perhaps a program that still wants to dial out for some reason). DSL does not use your modem at all.

However, I think your modem is the least of your problems. A five year old computer will be lacking in many ways when it comes to running Windows XP. I would have saved my money, saving up to buy a new computer.

Old 11-14-05, 04:14 PM
B
I thought upgrading from 98 to xp was highly discouraged, if not downright impossible.

Old 11-18-05, 03:01 AM
R
Gone. No problem.

Last edited by mattison; 11-25-05 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Un-intended post.
Old 11-18-05, 10:59 AM
R
Well that must look really strange to everyone. I don't know why that is what got posted...it wasn't supposed to be. I didn't even type it. What I wanted to post was this link to upgrading from win98 to XP...sheesh, confusors.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcas...g_9xupgrade.asp

Old 11-23-05, 11:25 AM
S
I attempted to upgrade from 98 to Xp and it was a nightmare. I lost my scanner and dvd drive. The links provided for the drivers never worked and my computer slowed to a crawl. When I attempted to revert back to 98 I found out that the XP install is permanent and cannot be uninstalled. I just went ahead and bought a new PC.

Old 11-23-05, 06:28 PM
R
Originally Posted by Stumped1
When I attempted to revert back to 98 I found out that the XP install is permanent and cannot be uninstalled. I just went ahead and bought a new PC.
What you found out is that you can't downgrade to an earlier version of windows by loading it on top of a newer version.

You can always downgrade. you just have to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch. This is the same way you SHOULD have upgraded to Windows XP. You should never install a new operating system on top of an old one. That is foolhardy.

Old 11-24-05, 10:07 PM
S
What I found out is you cannot uninstall XP. Says so right in the manual.
Obviously, had I know this I would not have bothered to attemp the upgrade to XP in the first place and bought the new PC.

Old 11-26-05, 09:43 PM
Brownthree
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all your comments. I installed Windows XP and the only problem I did experience was accessing the internet. I called my DSL provider and they got me back on line in no time. The upgrade cost me less than $75.00 as I got a deal through my employer, so I could not pass it up. It will work for now until I get a new computer.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: