laptop help

Old 11-13-05, 04:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laptop help

my laptop doesn't work!.. it did, then it started getting a blue screen with somthing that said starting memory dump, then goes black... now it has gotten to the point where you push the power button, it lights and that's it.. no harddrive running, no options to go to startup, or CMOS, nothing at all on the screen.. tried replacing memory, nothing... pulled hard drive out.. nothing... so... I charged it for 3 days, turned it on and it said to change boot order, press ctl.. I did and made it the cd boot first.. put in a disc with partition magic on it, FDISK'd, reassigned a new partition, shut her down, put the XP system disc in and turned it on.. it formatted, loaded, looked great.. actually ran for over 3 hours.. (ac plugged in)... plugged in the ethernet cable, went online and got all the XP updates... now my soundcard, and a few other things had the yellow question mark in hardware config, so I figured they needed the system drivers.. I took out the system driver CD and put it in.. it started, and loaded most all the drivers.. with me keeping a careful eye on it as it did... looking good so far.. got to the ATI stuff and I glanced over to my right, just for a split second... just long enough to see peripherally, a blue screen with white writing... I snapped back around to see what it said, and..... black screen!... no hard drive activity, no boot up screen, no nothing in fact on the screen... I can fix anything that goes wrong with a desktop unit, but these laptops are for the elite I guess, because I haven't a clue where to begin?.. If I can't get some sort of startup screen, or something.. what do you think?.. any help would be greatly appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-05, 09:00 PM
That is, in case you aren't aware, the Blue Screen of Death, or BSOD. You should try to read the cryptic stuff on it, as there's an error code there somewhere that might point you in the right direction. Google BSOD, or look here:

http://www.bsod.org/

Old 11-14-05, 08:21 AM
said something like "starting memory dump at address"....... it was so fast, I never got a chance to read it clearly.. just a glimpse... never had a BSOD with XP... this laptop is the first XP machine to give me this much problem.. had it plugged in to charger for past two days, still turns on, with nothing... anyone know how to force start it in setup, or command prompt, or anything?.. maybe how to get it to the bootup sequence "CD" first?...

Old 11-14-05, 10:53 AM
The top 2 lines are the error code (see the BSOD link).

Can you get it to boot at all, like with a boot disk? If you don't have a boot disk, go to:

http://www.bootdisk.com

You can also try booting to the XP CD, and using the recovery console. From there you can use commands that are similar (but not exactly the same) as DOS. You'd have to google XP AND "recovery console" & read up on it. If you have a bootable anti-virus CD, that might be worth a shot.

If it just won't boot to anything, there's either a super-malignant virus, or something's fried. Hard to say from here.

Old 11-14-05, 05:52 PM
no boot to anything.. it did this months ago and just recently decided to start showing the logo, then black screen.. so after I reloaded everything, and the drivers, it went back to the black screen.. nothing since then.. have to figure out how to wipe the CMOS so it "might" boot ..?

Old 11-14-05, 07:20 PM
If you're using a known good wire to plug it into a known good electric outlet, and it won't boot to anything, I would start to suspect a major component failure. Power supply, CPU, motherboard, or something. Sorry if that isn't particularly helpful. You might try looking at the mfg's website under the support option as a place to start.

BTW, what's the make & model? How old?

Last edited by steve_gro; 11-14-05 at 09:59 PM.