Looking for router

Old 11-20-05, 10:15 AM
Exclamation Looking for router

I am finally breaking down and getting a wireless router for my computers. the router will be holding a computer with windows 98 connected by an ethernet cable and 2 computers with windows XP connected wirelessly. the problem is I can't find any wireless cards for desktops. Do I even need the wireless cards for the desktops that I am connecting wirelessly? If so does anybody know where I can get them?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-05, 10:32 AM
Any computer that is going to communicate wirelessly needs a wireless adapter of come sort. Most desktop computers do not have wireless built in. Many newer laptops do, but most older laptops do not.

For wireless you have many choices.

There are USB wireless adapters. These plug into a USB port.

There are PCI wireless adapters. These require an open PCI slot on your desktop.

There are other types, but those are the most common for desktops.

Make sure that your adapters are compatible with the wireless router.

Make sure that you change the password on and enable every bit of security on the wireless router.

Old 11-21-05, 01:52 PM
PCI comes in two varieties, a "hard" PCI cardm and one that hosts an PC-Card type wireless adapter.

You can also use a bridge, which is essentially a backwards WAP, you plug into the network jack on a system.

Old 11-21-05, 03:52 PM
Wow, learned some new stuff today. I also have to go through a floor to my computer across the house and upstairs from where the router will be placed. I was thinking of buying the netgear rangemax router ($99) and the rangemax PCI adapters ($79 each) Should that get the job done?

Old 11-22-05, 12:02 AM
tae
do you need 500,000 square feet of coverage?
as long as you dont live in a mansion, a regular wireless router and cards should work ok, but the rangemax should definitely work, although it would be such a strong signal, it would/could invite unwanted visiters to try to use your access.

Old 11-22-05, 12:02 PM
Never really thought of that. Would encryption and passwords and such keep them out? I wouldn't think anyone would try to hack my router but then again you never know. 500,000 square feet, about how many feet out in one direction is that?

Old 11-22-05, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by DanMan2991
I wouldn't think anyone would try to hack my router but then again you never know.
That's a very naive statement.

If you have a wireless network, your network is wide open to anyone out there who wants access to it.

Encryption will stop the casual surfer and the neighbors, but it won;t stop bound and determined to get access to your network.

If you have a wireless network for home use, you should make sure to change the password on the router, to turn off broadcasting that the router is present and running, and enable and use as much security as possible on your connection.

Old 11-22-05, 02:03 PM
tae
dont want to do the math but to give you an idea:
Q. How large are Wal-Martís discount stores?
A. Discount stores average approximately 98,079 square feet.

Q. How large are Wal-Martís Supercenters?
A. Supercenters average approximately 186,077 square feet.

Q. How large are Wal-Martís Neighborhood Markets?
A. Neighborhood Markets average approximately 42,286 square feet.

Q. How large are SAMíS Clubs?
A. SAMíS Clubs average approximately 127,776 square feet.

http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalW...53&contId=5703

Old 11-24-05, 05:54 AM
Wow, thats huge! what kind of security should I add to the router to protect me from users who want free internet?

Old 11-24-05, 06:06 AM
If you have a wireless network for home use, you should make sure to change the password on the router, to turn off broadcasting that the router is present and running, and enable and use as much security as possible on your connection.