AVG conflict?

Old 11-12-05, 04:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AVG conflict?

My computer started shutting off for some reason today. it had been running o.k. till now. i ran my virus scans and AVG came up with "partition table MBR-reading error" and "boot sector disc-reading error". Also,windows opened with this message-"one of your discs needs to checked for consistency".
The only changes recently(2 days ago) was a automatic windows XP sp2 update.
I am typing this as fast as i can in case my machine just shuts down again.
I'm wondering if maybe there is a conflict with windows XP and AVG. Iv'e had strange problems with AVG before and have had to uninstall and reinstall it. Another msg came upalso during all this= "c:\windows\sytem32\shell32.dll--change" with acartoon of a "bug".
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 11-12-05, 04:19 PM
tae
from the AVG forum:the changed files are normal after Windows updates and filesystem repairs happen .

of course you checked all the system fans?

the others? you've ran checkdisk or sfc?

Old 11-12-05, 05:10 PM
Yeah,i checked the fans,reseated the cards,checked for dust bunnies,the usual stuff. Obviously i'm still up and running.
I did uninstall AVG. I also, while i was waiting for the computer to shut off again,Searched the web for any conflicts between AVG and Windows.
Yes indeedy there are other users of AVG that have had similiar problems.
I installed AVG because of all the raves i had heard about it,but now i don't know if i want to reinstall it. I think they have a newer version something like 7.289.4,or the like. It does seem to be the culprit here. Besides MS antivirus software,i'm using Adaware,and McAfee.

Old 11-13-05, 09:53 AM
Sorry to get back to you,but the dang machine has still been shutting down and i haven't been able to get on line till now. Uninstalled and reinstalled AVG and Adaware. Did safe mode checks. ran a Ccleaner program and what seems to be a million other things. I guess i can't put the blame on AVG entirely. As a knowledgeable neighbor suggested " you must have done something"!
Thanks for bearing with me. Will post later if i get good results from recent changes.
Thanks

Old 11-13-05, 11:42 AM
tae
when it shuts down, does it just turn off, or tell you it's shutting down, or what. as much info as you can.
try turning it on in safe mode and not doing anything. does it shut off then?
how long till it shuts off?

Old 11-13-05, 01:46 PM
It justs shuts down,no warning,no msgs.. Sometimes after being on for only 4-5 minutes,other times after 1/2 hour,even after running more than a hour. Ran it in safe mode and it still did it. Don't want to jinx my self,but its still running . I had a similiar problem several months ago. If i remeber correctly i un-stalled Avg,andre-installed. Also did a restore and was surprised it didn't help. I'm thinking that there maybe a conflict amongst my programs. I will let you know in a couple of days if everything is running o.k.
(providing i can log on long enough to do so)

Old 11-13-05, 06:55 PM
Well,it shut off twice again. I tried to do a "system restore"and now it won't do that. System restore says to try a different date. I did for 3 different dates and it still wouldn't do a restore.

Old 11-14-05, 05:43 AM
W
Lightbulb Suspect the PS or the Cord

Sounds like all of those uncontrolled shutdowns are corrupting your system files.

Are you sure, SURE, that this is not a mechanical problem ... ie.. the power cord is loose or the power supply has a touchy plug connector? Are you sure that your foot is not accidentally brushing up against the computer case when this happens, or your dog or cat is playing with the cords in the back of the computer when this happens? I've seen power supplies with such poor workmanship that the small vibration of simply setting a can of soda on the computer case would cause the power cord to momentarily lose connectivity in the power plug receptor.

I've yet to see a symptom such as you describe caused by software, it always ends up being a hardware problem, which then manifests software problems as files and Drive Boot Records become corrupted due to repeated power interruptions.

Look for the simplest explanation first, I doubt it's a software issue.

Old 11-14-05, 06:58 AM
Thanks for your reply..Its taking me awhile to get online because the machine keeps shuting down. No changes that help in safe mode either.
system Restore won't let me restore to a previous date.
Will check out the cable connections again. Will check back later

Old 11-15-05, 08:38 AM
T
The first thing I would do is open up the case and make sure all the fans are working. If they are I would probably replace the power supply. This is most likely either an over heating issue or a bad power supply.

Old 11-15-05, 09:56 AM
I have a computer tech.coming in today. Your right in that it could be pwr.supply related. Also,hard drive amongst others.
I started the computer this morning and it has been running continously where
it would shut down sometimes after 2-3 minutes,and other times fter a hour or so. Machine must know i am having someone look at it so it will run perfectly till the tech. leaves after i drop many $$$. Murphy's law!
I will post back later with the findings,
Thanks

Old 11-16-05, 09:48 AM
Update...........
Computer tech. checked out my system. Trouble doesn't seem to be software after he did his trouble-shooting. The suggestion now is to start changing out hardware. Iv'e decided to not go this route after adding up $$ to do this in time and parts. May try to find just the tower because the rest of my components are just fine.

Sounds similiar to KATIEFRAN's issues posted here also.

Old 11-22-05, 10:53 AM
Another update...

Well, this time i got into my computer and removed and reseated every cable,checked the seating of all the cards and drives,etc,blew out the chassis with a 'can-o-air',cautiously wiped off any dust traces on all chips on
cards and mother board.
This was a day and a half ago and the beast is still running! Don't know what all was the problem,but i'm up again.
Thought i'd just pass this along to those who were so helpful answering me
and helping.

Thanks

Old 11-22-05, 01:11 PM
W
Thanks for updating us

It's nice to get feedback, most of the people post their problem, get a few answers and then disappear - it's nice finding out whether our tips were right or not.

From your descriptions I was pretty sure it was a bad connection in the power delivery subsystem. I'm glad it was one that you were able to fix.

Thanks again for the update.

Old 11-22-05, 11:33 PM
G
I know on some computers a bad battery will prevent the computer from powering up.
How old is the battery ?

Old 11-23-05, 05:09 AM
The battery is about 2 years old. Machine would power up o.k.
This issue i had was a good learning event for me. I now know what all the components are and how they work(sort of). I figured with all the help here,a computer repair outfit,neighbors and friends that i had nothing to lose
by "getting into it". Repairs costs can quickly add up to a good piece of change versus just buying anew computer. However,i liked the challenge
and hope folks here got some info that could be helpful in the future.
Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: