older PC hardware cabling

Old 11-20-05, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
older PC hardware cabling

I've been given some older PC cases and motherboards I would like to try and get running. I have hard drives, CD-rom's, floppy drives, graphics and sound cards to install in them and a monitor, keyboard and mouse to move from one case to another (for now). What I need to know is this: when cabling for the hard drive and the CD-rom, do I need to put the HDD in the "master" position on the primary IDE cable, and the CD-rom in the "slave" position on the same cable? Or should the CD-rom go on the secondary IDE cable? Also, should a PCI-format graphics card go in a particular PCI slot on the motherboard, or will any slot work? I've searched the web looking for the conventions for cabling and slotting, but there seems to be little information or agreement. Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-05, 03:20 PM
always put the CDROM on a seperate IDE cable when possible. The the drive will only run as fast as the slowest device on the chain. In other words a ATA100 drive is not going to run at its full potential if it is linked with ATA33 cdrom.

As for the graphics card, typically it goes in the first PCI slot. But it should function in any of the slots.

Old 11-20-05, 06:24 PM
If you have older motherboards, mixing CD-ROMS on the same cable as hard drives is the least of your worries.

Your biggest chore will be finding legal operating systems for these machines.

Old 11-20-05, 09:01 PM
Yes, the box does run Windows98 a little slower than my "hot rod", but the price is right! And it puts a computer in my garage where I need it that will work until I build a faster one. Thanks for the cabling advice! Now, how about a modem? I'm trying to put a PCI-format 56k v92 Sterling brand modem in, installing the drivers from the disc first. Upon restarting, Windows rebuilds its driver database, but never goes into "new hardware found". Then, when looking at Properties in My Computer, the modem indicates it is encountering a Windows driver conflict. What's happening here? Thanks again in advance for the help - Chris

Old 11-20-05, 11:01 PM
tae
uninstall the software fully, reboot,reboot again, then shut it off and install the card. windows should find it, and ask for the drivers.

Old 11-21-05, 01:30 PM
Okay. Removed the modem physically and logically, rebooted twice. Re-installed modem in box, rebooted, and Windows found the modem and installed a driver. Then Windows said something about not finding an MMX CPU for the modem, that this modem requires MMX. I guess this means my old Socket 7 processor (Intel pentium) won't support this modem? What is MMX? Is it something that will come automatically as part of an updated mobo/CPU combo, or will I need to shop for my new processor to make sure? I'm not married to this particular modem, I just hate to not use it if I can help it! Again, thanks in advance - Chris

Old 11-21-05, 03:35 PM
tae
for mmx definitions:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&h...n&q=define:MMX

Software Modems data pump and controller functions are processed in a Pentium MMX-Compatible CPU using host-signal processing modem software. It's very important for users to follow up the minimum specs requirements.

usually any intel chip over 166 mhz. should be mmx

Old 11-21-05, 08:06 PM
Just missed it! The CPU presently on the board runs 133 Mhz. Looks like a new board and CPU are closer than I thought. Oh, well. Easy come, easy go. 'Til next time - Chris

Old 11-21-05, 08:19 PM
Hey! It just dawned on me that one of the cases has an AMD K6 processor - would it move over to the pentium board, and would it have the MMX on board? Just a thought.

Old 11-22-05, 12:53 AM
tae
should fit a socket 7 and have mmx support. you would have to have the mobo specs to know if it would work in it.

Old 11-22-05, 07:53 AM
You'll most likely need to change some motherboard jumpers.

Old 11-22-05, 09:06 PM
Dudes (and dudettes?), it worked! The AMD processor slipped right in the Socket 7 spot, then on start-up, it identified itself as having MMX. No board jumpers changed or anything but the processor swap. I know; why all this fuss over such an old machine? But that's the way I am. This is all a big learning experience for me as well. Okay; enough for now. I'd bet I post again with other issues/problems/questions. Thanks for all the input. 'Til next time - Chris