bios + nvram

Old 11-26-05, 11:47 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
bios + nvram

I was having trouble with the sound being too low on my cd-rw and dvd read only, but the pc sound was fine.
I was advised to restore the bios to default(I had upgraded from A4 to A12 two years ago).
I was also advised to clear the nvram.
Can anyone shed some light on what is being suggested, why it is being suggested, and if you agree.
Thank you

Old 11-26-05, 04:57 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
non-volatile random access memory......
by clearing this, it ensures that there is a fresh install in the bios, so no conflicts from previous configs. do this before bios change.

do you mean that the sound from music or whatever thats on the hard drive plays loud enough, but if it's in the cd or dvd player, it is too quiet?
1 unit for cd/dvd?

i wouldn't think doing anything in the bios would affect that, but cant be positive since dont know about your machine/equipment.

sounds more like a hardware issue than software, but ?

what plays the video/music? windows media player, or some other software?

Old 11-27-05, 05:31 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
audio

Originally Posted by tae
non-volatile random access memory......
by clearing this, it ensures that there is a fresh install in the bios, so no conflicts from previous configs. do this before bios change.

do you mean that the sound from music or whatever thats on the hard drive plays loud enough, but if it's in the cd or dvd player, it is too quiet?
1 unit for cd/dvd?

i wouldn't think doing anything in the bios would affect that, but cant be positive since dont know about your machine/equipment.

sounds more like a hardware issue than software, but ?

what plays the video/music? windows media player, or some other software?
>> I upgraded the bios(under supervsion) as I thought it was a positive step - is there a reason to go back again?
>>Yes, the dvd read only(top bay) + the cd-rw(lower bay) play very,very low. Media player and all other audio sources are fine. I would agree this was/is a hardware issue. I should have spoken up under warranty but did not use these devices as I was busy learning so much else.
Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: