XP installed over Windows 98, how to uninstall?

Old 11-29-05, 10:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
XP installed over Windows 98, how to uninstall?

I screwed up and installed XP over Windows 98.
I purchased a new pc, but I want to correct the old one so I can give it to someone.

How do I correct the problem so that my old pc will be running XP only? Currently both are running and at startup you have to select one or the other.

The person I'm giving it to is very pc illiterate and will be confused by the startup options. It's a Dell 8250 PC

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-05, 10:52 AM
R
Reformat the hard drive and install whichever of those operating systems you want. You should do this anyway whenever you give away/abandon a PC. There is too much personal information on a PC to not delete it.

Old 11-29-05, 01:22 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Barring that, just go into the settings and disable the other operation systems selection.

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab -> Startup & Recovery Options:Settings

Make sure XP is the selected default OS, and then uncheck the box that says 'time to display list of operating systems'.

You will no longer be asked which OS to boot with, but 98 will still be there and can be accessed should it never need to be. Since it takes less than 300 mb, it's not a big drive space concern.

All that being said, reformatting and installing anew is the best option.

And legally speaking, would 'free up' your win98 license so you can still use it on your own machine.

Old 11-30-05, 08:34 AM
S
Thank you - great info

I purchased a travel drive to move all the files, then I plan to reformat are reinstall XP. I knew there had to be a way, I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this mistake.

Thanks to both of you.

Old 11-30-05, 09:38 AM
R
If you are giving this PC to someone else then you have nothing to move with a travel drive. Any programs you might want to install for him or her should be installed with their original installation programs.

Old 11-30-05, 11:29 AM
S
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm moving all of my personal files and folders, not the programs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: