Computer keeps re-booting, need help....

Old 12-01-05, 12:02 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Computer keeps re-booting, need help....

I have a Compaq computer. I was on-line and my computer screen just went black and my tower shut down. A minute or two later the computer started by it's self and came on again. Now it will run anywhere from 1-5 minutes and I start losing my icons, then my decktop, then a screen comes up and saids, Windows Shutting Down, screen goes black, tower goes off. A minute later it starts back up, then it shuts down again. It seens to keep wanting to re-boot it's self, turns on, runs alittle, then shuts down, then starts back up. Would anyone have any idea why my computer keeps doing this? Any input would be very helpful.
Thank-you............

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-05, 12:24 PM
W
The good news is that you seem to be getting a controlled shutdown. If this was fatal problem, you wouldn't get that "windows is shutting down" message.

My first suspicion is that either your BIOS or Windows is monitoring the CPU temperature and shutting down because you are exceeding a preset limit. The easy way to check this is to leave the computer off for awhile to let it cool down.

It may also be a virus. Is it possible to hit "F8" when booting up and entering windows via "safe mode" and then running Ad-Aware/Spybot/Hijack this/ or some other commercial spam/virus software package?

Old 12-01-05, 12:54 PM
G
If I unplug the computer, so it doesn't keep starting, and let it cool down for an hour or so, it will stay on for a good 10 to 15 minutes, then shut down. Each time it re-boots, the less time it will stay on.
I have "spybot" and "hijack this" on the computer already, but I haven't tried starting it in the safe mode yet.

Old 12-01-05, 02:34 PM
From your last post, it sure sounds like it is overheating. How old is the computer, and when was the last time you openned it up and cleaned the dust out? If one of your fans is clogged, it could cause the unit to overheat, which could lead to the shutdown problem. The computer is trying to protect itself.

Just a thought.

Old 12-01-05, 04:52 PM
G
The computer is about 2 years old. I opened it up to check the fans, both are running and I cleaned both. The fan thats on the mother board was alittle dusty but not enough to clog it.

Old 12-02-05, 03:18 AM
M
Wink Shutting Down

Most times random shutdowns would make me look at a possible hardware problem. Sometimes defective power supply could give you shutdowns but usually not like what you described. If your running an AMD CPU and the cpu fan speed is too low you would likely see these symptoms. If it is an AMD processor if you go into your BIOS setup there may be a hardware monitor screen that shows system power supply voltages and fan speeds.

A test I would want to run is to boot to a DOS floppy and let the machine sit at a DOS prompt for a while and see if it stays running. If so you most likely have operating system problems due to a virus or other malware, requiring a system restore if you have a restore CD.

If you could get it running long enough to run a virus scan or adaware spyware test you might not have to restore it.

Old 12-02-05, 06:27 AM
A
As was said before, you should run the computer in Safe Mode for a while and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Unlikely to be a hardware problem, I would think. I don't think you would be getting the friendly "Shutting Down" screen.

Old 12-02-05, 06:28 AM
Some time ago i had a similiar problem. The problem was eliminated after i UNINSTALLED a recent program i had just installed. A friend of mine said the program i installed was incompatible with my Compaq Presario.

Old 12-03-05, 06:26 AM
G
Computer keeps rebooting, need help........

I guess today I'll find out alittle more. This is my mother's computer and I'm going back over to check it out again. I'll try to start it in the safe mode and see if it stay's running, if it does, I can goes through it and see if I can find the problem. I'll keep you all updated on how things turn out.
Thanks...............

Last edited by grantiman; 12-04-05 at 06:20 AM. Reason: add to answer
Old 12-04-05, 06:32 AM
G
Ok, got it up and running in the safe mode. Did a "MS Config" on it and went through everything. All the software, programs, files, etc. are all good and clean, nothing on there that shouldn't be. Left in on for awhile to see if it would stay running, and about 15 minutes later it shut itself down again, then tried to reboot. I guess my problem must be in the hardware. The PCU is clean, fan running. Maybe I should change the power supply?

Old 12-04-05, 07:35 AM
carsolha
Visiting Guest
Try running it with the case open and a small fan blowing on the motherboard. See if it runs longer. If it does, you definitely have a heat problem.

Old 12-04-05, 10:16 AM
J
Have you checked for viruses?
There's a slight possibility of a bad switch. Try unplugging it at the motherboard after it's turned on and see if it makes a difference. I'm not sure if you would get the shutting down message with a flakey RAM stick but you could try removing the RAM and putting in a known good RAM stick.

Old 12-04-05, 01:28 PM
G
The software is all clean. Took the side off and put a fan blowing on the mother board, the computer has been running for over an hour and still running. Must be a heating problem, all I have to figure out is if it's the power supply or the PCU over heating.

Old 12-06-05, 12:53 AM
bf140-Albert
Visiting Guest
I think your hard drive is nearly full.

I've seen these kind of symptoms before when there is not enough free space on the hard drive for your system/applications to create the working files needed to run. Start Windows Explorer (MS System) and delete everything in the C:\TEMP and C:\TEMPORARY folders. Clean out C:\WINNT\TEMP. Use the MSIE Options menu (under Tools) to delete all of the temporary Internet files. Check the free space on your drive by looking at the C drive properties you can find by right clicking the 'C Drive' icon under My Computer. If this solution is correct, your system problems will go away.

Actual hard drive failures can create a lot of screwy results, but drives usually last more than two years. Listen carefully for any chirping or scratching noises. A repetitive whirring noise may indicate a disk arm mechanism (HDA) failure. Look for unexplained file read failure message boxes, and notice if it takes a very long time for you applications to start or close (read or write the files they use.)

My experience with actual failures is that the HD file system gets so thrashed that I have to force applications off the system with task manager. They never will stop normally. MS has never put hardware error detection and recovery into its IO routines. The system will start a read or write operation and simply wait for it to complete before going on. HD failures interfere with normal IO handling and will make the application hang forever. An application with data in the bad area of the HD will hang and one having everything in the good part will run. These failures are predictable and permanent. The only way to figure out what works and what fails is through trial and error.

If you are convinced that you have an actual drive failure, it's time to replace the drive. This is a top priority crisis you must fix immediately! Count your blessings that the system will run even for a little while. Your number one goal is to get a backup you can use to restore your system on the new replacement drive you are about to buy. This purchase cannot be put off. When the drive failure is complete, all of the software and data files you have stored on it will be permanently lost to you (unless you are willing to pay a specialized data recovery service *$$$* to get it back). I recommend using a product like Norton Ghost to copy the contents of the drive onto CDs you can use to restore from later.

You will need to be able to create CDs on your computer to use this approach. Some older systems used tape drives for this purpose, but HDs have gotten so big in relation to the speed and capacity of tapes that these devices are not practical for home use. You can also get JAZ drives (high capacity zip disk devices, but they are expensive, and require you to run some kind of backup software to use them.) On a failing system you cannot sensibly plan to run anything for very long in anticipation of having your efforts ruined in the next system crash.

Install Ghost and make a floppy startup disk with it. Insert the startup disk in your floppy drive and boot from it. Now you are running a small system off the floppy safe from the problems on you HD since you're not using it at this point. Start Ghost and then make an image (copy) the whole C Drive to your CD Drive. Use high quality data CDs and feed in as many as you need to get the job done. Now you have a backup.

Install your new HD following the manufacturer's instructions. Things will probably be simpler if you buy another one from the same company that made the one you have now. (Similar drivers and all) Put the Ghost floppy back in the floppy drive and boot from it again. Most HDs these days come preformatted. I believe that MS prefers NTFS for its newer OS. If you get to make a choice, format the new drive to have the same file system and cluster size as the old one. (Make a note of these details when you examine the old drive properties before removing it from the system.) Restore the drive image.

Remove the floppy and reboot. Voila! Off you go!

BTW: This is probably not the kind of thing to ask the kid at Best Buy to help you with. If you get in enough trouble to need extra help, hire a professional for a few hours.
Good Luck.

Last edited by bf140-Albert; 12-06-05 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-06-05, 01:19 PM
bf140-Albert
Visiting Guest
Empty the wastebasket, delete unwanted e-mail, etc.

I overlooked the obvious. Must be an occupational hazard. Empty the waste basket and the deleted mail folder in Outlook or Outlook Express (or whatever you're using). My partner at work gets a ton of chain letters, cute pictures, and all kinds of other stuff from her friends and relatives every day. Yesterday she shared a slide show of about a dozen fine pictures of ice sculptures someone sent to her. They were really wonderful. A few days ago my ISP bounced one of her forwarded messages back to her because it was close to 500MB in size! If you have good intentioned people helping you in this way, make sure to delete all but the most significant things you receive. Pictures take up a lot of room. Keep in mind that MS Outlook products transfer the mail you delete from the inbox to the deleted folders. You must clear the deleted folder to remove the items from your computer. A trick I use to delete junk e-mail permanently and directly is to press SHIFT+DEL keys at the same time after selecting items from the inbox to remove.

I hope this is helpful.