switch dvd's

Old 12-02-05, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
switch dvd's

I have a Dell 4600 win xp sp2 + a top bay with a dvd read only and the bottom bay a cd-rw. I'd like more burning space but I'm not too techy and wondered if I could take out the existing dvd + install a dvd burner in its place?
Would it be less expensive and easier to just get an external dvd burner?
Can I put other than Dell in?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-05, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterr
I have a Dell 4600 win xp sp2 + a top bay with a dvd read only and the bottom bay a cd-rw. I'd like more burning space but I'm not too techy and wondered if I could take out the existing dvd + install a dvd burner in its place?
Yes, you can do this. However, I would replace the CD burner, not the DVD drive. Having a DVD reader and a DVD burner allows you to copy DVDs directly. Your proposal would require an intermediate file be created on your PC to copy a DVD.

Would it be less expensive and easier to just get an external dvd burner?
Less expensive? No. Easier? Yes. Assuming that your PC has a USB connection, connecting an external DVD writer is as easy as connecting the USB cable and plugging the power supply in. However, that power supply and the case increase the cost of the unit. For an internal burner you don't have a case or a power supply. Of course with deals and rebates, especially this time of year, you could likely find either one to be cheaper.

Can I put other than Dell in?
Yes.

Last edited by racraft; 12-02-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-02-05, 09:05 AM
dvd

I do have a usb connection so I'll be looking around.
Thank you for the enlightening message.

Old 12-02-05, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
FYI I just upgraded my DVD burner from a 4x single layer to 16x double layer. The new unit cost me $19.95 after rebates.

Old 12-02-05, 10:01 AM
dvd burner

Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
FYI I just upgraded my DVD burner from a 4x single layer to 16x double layer. The new unit cost me $19.95 after rebates.
>>Could you give me a little info about layers and 6x vs 16x's.
Thanx

Old 12-02-05, 07:37 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Less expensive? No. Easier? Yes. Assuming that your PC has a USB connection, connecting an external DVD writer is as easy as connecting the USB cable and plugging the power supply in.
I wish it was always that easy. sometimes it's a royal pain.
any internal brand will work as long as it's ide.
the number with an x (4x) is the speed
there are single layer and dual layer...single layer holds basically 4.7 gigs and dual layer holds 8.5 gigs

Obviously 16x recording puts a significant amount of stress on a system, which is nothing like CDR recording at 48x and up. Recording a CDR at 48x only requires a sustained data rate to the CDRW recorder of 7.2MB/s which is perfectly feasible with even an older PC. Recording a DVD (whether +R or R) at 16x however requires no less than 22MB/s, which is more than the sustained data rate of many harddisks. So although your DVD recorder might support 16x recording, the rest of your system might not be able to keep track