Computer won't start after power went out

Old 12-15-05, 07:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Computer won't start after power went out

Was redoing my outlets so I turned my power curcuits on and off a few times, may have turned it off before the computer switched off properly. Anyway now I turn it back on, it boots and shows the loading window XP progress bar and immedately reboots. Maybe this is just a coincidence but I dunno.. if the power being turned off affected the computer, what could most likely be the failure? Is it the power supply not giving enough power when Windows XP is try to load?

Old 12-15-05, 08:28 AM
R
Have you tried booting in safe mode? You may have corrupted something on the hard drive.

Old 12-15-05, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
Have you tried booting in safe mode? You may have corrupted something on the hard drive.
I did try safemode, same thing.. the computer reboots about 1 second after the windows XP is loading progress bar.

Old 12-15-05, 08:08 PM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Tap the F8 key before the Windows screen appears and select the last known good config option and see if that gets you anywhere. Also, if that doesn't work see if you have a disable automatic reboot option in the F8 menu and try that.

Old 12-15-05, 11:37 PM
bf140-Albert
Visiting Guest
Recovery Console Feature

Let's say for a minute that the worst really did happen. The boot sector on your hard drive was damaged. Here is a copy of the Windows-XP help file for the topic:

Feature: Recovery Console
When to use it: If using Last Known Good is unsuccessful, and you cannot start the computer in Safe Mode. This method is recommended only if you are an advanced user who can use basic commands to identify and locate problem drivers and files. To use the Recovery Console, restart the computer with the installation CD for the operating system in the CD drive. When prompted during text-mode setup, press R to start the Recovery Console.
What it does: From the Recovery Console, you can access the drives on your computer. You can then make any of the following changes so that you can start your computer:
Enable or disable device drivers or services.
Copy files from the installation CD for the operating system, or copy files from other removable media. For example, you can copy an essential file that had been deleted.
Create a new boot sector and new master boot record (MBR). You might need to do this if there are problems starting from the existing boot sector.
Available on: All versions of Windows XP.
<end copy>

You will boot the system from your installation CD. The startup will detect the presence of XP and ask you if you want to run Recovery Console. Create a new boot sector and then reboot the machine from the hard drive. If nothing else is wrong, you should be back in business.

Old 12-16-05, 12:01 AM
Thx for responses.. The last known config did the same thing... I ended up just fresh build of winxp by doing a reformat. Lost the files on C drive but still have my D drive. Guess the power out corrupted some windows file. Things look good now though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: