networking two computers!agh!! help plz:)

Old 12-18-05, 07:48 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
networking two computers!agh!! help plz:)

Hi, my Husband and I are networking our two computers. They are in the same room. We know they see each other as we can put documents and pictures in the share file and see each on the other computer. But a big reason we wanted to do this is play games together. That we can't seem to do... One of the computers only is connected to the internet and that one can't "start" a game for the other to join and they can't go on the internet together at all. Any suggestions as to what I can check?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-05, 10:09 AM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
Here is a link on how to network two computers. I think if you want internet acces you need to use a proxy server or a router.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpwin9x.html

Old 12-18-05, 01:46 PM
R
What type of Internet service do you have, and what are you using as a router to route the communications between the two computers and your ISP?

Old 12-18-05, 07:54 PM
tae
alot of games have a "local" setting,looking for home networked players.

Old 12-20-05, 02:54 AM
W
What's the game that you want to play?

One computer generally must be the game server (or "host") and the other must be the game client (unfortunately this sometimes requires two copies of the same game). There should be a fairly intuitive setup from the main screen(s) when in the game.

If you want to go "head to head" over your home network, the internet has nothing to do with it, since the packets are never routed outside of your home network.

If you want to play "head to head" against people on the internet, AND against your other home computer at the same time, I'm not sure that will work. The game and/or gaming site will essentially see two different data streams coming from the same IP address, and this could cause conflicts (I don't know if gaming sites are set up to handle this or if game software is set up to handle this). I'm not an "on-line" gamer myself, so I can't help you there.

But, if you tell us the name of the game, and how your two computers are physically connected, I'm sure we can come up with some suggestions.

Old 12-20-05, 06:10 PM
D
What game are you trying to network?
Are you using a hub, switch or router?
What type of internet (cable, DSL)?