msie 6

Old 12-21-05, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
msie 6

>I found the article below but further reading said msie 6 cannot be repaired.
>Could you explain this rather complicated article so I will be able to handle the problem correctly. Thank you.

If tr 'w' msie 6, before reinstalling it with xp disk( xp sp2) A- first just re-register the dlls by running this command: iexplore /rereg and hit enter. B- run sfc /scannow C- search all files and folders, select more advanced options and place a checkmark beside earch hidden files and folders option, ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked, In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf, In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder,Click the Search button, In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder, right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu, reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-05, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterr
>I found the article below but further reading said msie 6 cannot be repaired.
>Could you explain this rather complicated article so I will be able to handle the problem correctly. Thank you.
Uhhh, why don't we start with what the exact problem is, rather than trying to explain a solution that may or may not be correct.

Old 12-21-05, 02:08 PM
tae
yes,more info would be better. That article you have has a whole lot of stuff going on.
According to microsoft, you can repair or reinstall i.e.6

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

Old 12-21-05, 02:31 PM
msie

I guess I was asking if any part of the article I read was valid so I could keep notes in the event of a problem with explorer.
I am trying to learn so my questions seem frivolous but they are my 'sources' of education. Sometimes it's harder to solve problems after they occur so I try to study different issues. I heard you have to reinstall the o.s. to fix msie so when I saw the article I wondered if it was genuine. If the information is too bulky I totally understand; it overwhelmed me that's why I posted it.

Old 12-21-05, 07:31 PM
tae
for microsoft products, the best resources are usually microsoft. learn to make their website your friend. When researching other things, use google(or another search engine) and look at as many "solutions" as you can stand. And, of course, my personal favorite....make a backup, and then "just do it!". Learn NOT to be afraid to do something. No better experience than doing.

for the article you posted, learn to break it down into small steps. learn about re/registering ,i believe you have some knowledge of the sfc command, the rest is pretty much hunting the inf (information) file down and using it.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/d...erview/inf.asp

Old 12-22-05, 05:59 AM
education

It may not appear so but I do all the things you recommend-except performing a format/reinstall. My wife would kill me if the pc was down.
Anyway, I understand and do appreciate all the help. The last message was a little too much I must confess. I just had wonderd if any of it was useful in case I had a problem with msie.
I find google to be on my level but I have to read the M.S. site information a few times. Thanx again.

Old 12-22-05, 09:42 PM
If it's that important to have the computer working at all times, it would be good to get a new hard drive and clone your current drive. Therefore, if something hard drive or software related goes bad, you'll have a back up. Also, explain the importance of backing up important files to her if she isn't aware.