need major help with spyware removal/registry

Old 01-06-06, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need major help with spyware removal/registry

I have recently gotten spyware that nags me to download "spyware removal programs". I have not downloaded any of the programs except one of the spware programs has downloaded and automatically installed a program that is called spyware strike. everytime i uninstall it it reinstalls itself. The spyware has also messed with my registry and has deleted/changed entries so i also need to know how to restore my registry. would it be as simple as using system restore? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-06, 03:52 PM
running xp? download microsoft beta. if you know when this happend and it won't mess you up too much to restore then do that first, then go get beta.

Old 01-07-06, 04:55 AM
I tried all of your suggestions but it seems that the spyware is still there. I'm still getting all of the things listed above. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-08-06, 04:54 PM
I just went through something similar with a nasty little beauty called "Spyware Srike" or similar...

I found out it's a variation of SpyAxe. If you Google that term, you will find a little removal program that you run in "Safe Mode". IIRC, the programs name is smitREM.... easy to use, works and, best of all, it's free.

Old 01-09-06, 05:51 AM
adaware and spybot are safe to download, also delete cookies.

Old 01-09-06, 06:27 PM
This little piece comes in handy. you never know it is there till you need it. It has warned me a number of times. Not necessarily about spyware just of modifications to the registry,but it would if something was trying to change the registrBTW do you have Spywareblaster. Best defense is to not let it in in the first place.

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot

Old 01-10-06, 11:46 AM
I personally run Microsoft Antispyware on my three computers and every computer i take care of for family and friends. So I have it rnning on about 20-25 computers and never have a problem with spyware. I know it is only beta but, dang it works good. I have a friend I built a computer for a couple of weeks ago and in less than a week he had some much spyware and crap on it I couldn't believe it. Probably more than I have ever seen on a computer. I installed MS Antispyware and in less than 30 I had the whole computer clean. It updates itself and runs a scan by itself every night and you don't even need to do anything to it. It only works with XP but I live by it.........just my $0.02.

Old 01-11-06, 09:39 AM
Try the rest of the suggestions listed here then try this:

Goto http://www.xoftspy.com/ and download the trial version. It'll scan your system for you but unfortuntely you have to pay to remove anything. I find it to be one of the best tools out there.

It'll at least give you an idea of what's left or what you're dealing with. Lately, the viruses are easy to get rid of but the trojans are getting worse.

Old 01-11-06, 05:12 PM
tae
I would be very leary of xoftspy. it has been listed on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-spyware list for a long time, and has just recently (december) been taken off as the company did alot of groveling/excuse making and saying they were going to change for the better.. It was known to give false positives just so you would buy it, didn't work well for most people, didn't do what it promised it would, and was put out by a company who would not disclose their address,phone number,web ip, etc.

Old 01-11-06, 05:48 PM
Tae, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up, i'll start researching.

Btw, I noticed that hijackthis and cwshredder isn't in your list of free proggies... Ever tried it?

Old 01-11-06, 06:40 PM
tae
use them all the time. HJT i feel is a little to complicated for the average user, so if someone has a prob, i will recommend they get it and post a log...just dont want them to try and fix things on their own, without reading the instructions.

cwshredder has been a great proggie, but it is limited to the cool web search junk. just a few answers to a couple of questions can pretty much determine if the problem is cws.I didn't want to start adding hundreds of stand alone fix it type programs. By the way, shredder is now owned by trend micro, and comes as part of their antispyware 3.0 package.

Old 01-11-06, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by tae
use them all the time. HJT i feel is a little to complicated for the average user, so if someone has a prob, i will recommend they get it and post a log...just dont want them to try and fix things on their own, without reading the instructions.

cwshredder has been a great proggie, but it is limited to the cool web search junk. just a few answers to a couple of questions can pretty much determine if the problem is cws.I didn't want to start adding hundreds of stand alone fix it type programs. By the way, shredder is now owned by trend micro, and comes as part of their antispyware 3.0 package.

i had the same problem a week ago with mine, nothing could find any spyware so i gave up and reinstalled XP

Old 01-11-06, 08:45 PM
tae
you absolutely had some malware on there, which i saw from your startup. you went to reformat before i could say anything. I still think it was some form of downloader gk. My personal preference (which is not for everybody) is that if it takes longer to hunt down than it will/would to format and reinstall, i format and reinstall.