Thoughts on switching from AOL to NetZero

Old 01-10-06, 12:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on switching from AOL to NetZero

My mom (a senior citizen) has asked me to look into helping her switch from AOL to NetZero. She insists on staying with dial-up service, and she has heard that NetZero is cheaper and faster than AOL. I told her I would do some research...so here I am at my favorite research source. Any thoughts out there? Thanks

Old 01-10-06, 01:27 PM
B
There are several good alternatives. Netzero is one.

But, part of what you pay AOL for is their interface. Before switching, make sure your mother knows waht to expect. eg) she will need an email program and it win't look like AOL's email program. I hope she can make the adjustment.

Old 01-10-06, 01:29 PM
C
thanks Bob...you say there are several alternatives....can you recommend any others? Thanks

Old 01-10-06, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
www.peoplepc.com supported by AARP... its a pretty good alternative for one... also, get ready for a battle trying to get rid of AOL.. then you have to get all of the AOL crap out of your computer.. thats fun too..

Old 01-10-06, 02:55 PM
R
If Verizon DSL is available where she is then she could switch to that. At $14.95 per month Verizon DSL is better than any dial up.

Old 01-10-06, 07:09 PM
B
dial-up (things that make me go buuurrrr)

coachd,

i've noticed while standing out at the check-out line, that netscape offers
a diiaalll-uuuppp service on a cd, also the local service that your mom already
uses should have their own service, and i have seen some electrical service co-ops offering isp's. i agree most whole heartedly with what bobf and frhrwa
say about the interface and the massive problems of getting rid of the most annoying program ever invented. i know that mom might need the time to go to the restroom while her e-mail program loads (my mom makes a beer run to the fridge) try to explain to her(maybe you will have better luck than i) that we are not getting any older and really, your time is precious and besides that apple pie, cake, roast(pick one)is burning.

barry

Old 01-10-06, 09:38 PM
B
I had peoplepc and switched to netscape so I could use my business email addy at home. Peoplepc wouldn't let me send emails using my business addy.
Netzero and Earthlink are also good.

But I now have Sprint DSL. DSL or cable modem is the way to go.

Old 01-12-06, 07:34 PM
N
If I were you, I would first try to contact NetZero and "pretend" to cancel an account. Yeah, if you like wasting hours of your evening only to talk to some middle-eastener who you can't understand but it doesn't matter anyway because he can't help you so he transfers you to a different department who says they'll cancel your account, but then not do it and so you get AUTOMATICALLY charged (they only allow auto credit card payments) for another month only to repeat the same process over again.

I had AOL and only had to deal with their bs about trying to keep me, I would rather go through that then what NetZero puts you through.

I wouldn't wish NetZero on my worst enemy.

Their "web accelerator" simply adjusts the resolution of images that are download on websites for a faster download. Turn the "high speed" off and they're no faster than anyone else. I have Quest DSL now, it is expensive, but I have had no problems with the service.

Old 01-12-06, 08:40 PM
B
isp- dialup

coachd,

any ideas, thoughts, anyone home. we are trying to help.

barry

Old 01-13-06, 12:25 AM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
if you pick up a wal-mart inet cd at the store, it seems to also be aol. your ip is blah.aol.com but when i got dsl and tried to cancel that, they also gave me the run around and i had to pay another month. but whats worse, i think it automatically disconnects you. i had never been able to keep it up on an all nite download. would kill after a couple of hours even with mouse jiggling and auto surfing stuff on. but it was only $9.97 a month

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: