Memory Question

Old 01-13-06, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Memory Question

I have a Pent. 4 , 3ghz. I have 512 mb of memory(DDR SDRAM) Would I notice much of an improvement in performance by upgrading to 1gb of memory?
Also what do I look for other than lifetime warranty? (obviously compatibility)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-06, 05:32 PM
3 gig is a very decent machine. if you run alot of memory intensive programs like games or graphics, bring it up to a meg or better, if you don't run those type of applications just clean up the drive and get rid of crap like weather bug and multiple messengers, spyware, etc.

Old 01-14-06, 08:17 AM
Yes, increasing your memory will increase your performance. You will notice this increase in performance if you use memory intensive programs.

Old 01-14-06, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Yes, increasing your memory will increase your performance. You will notice this increase in performance if you use memory intensive programs.
To a point, depending on what he does with his machine, he may see a good improvement or he may see no improvement at all going from 512 to a gig.

Old 01-14-06, 05:52 PM
I do not do any video editing or gaming. Mostly internet, itunes, instant messaging. Having 4-5 windows open at a time kinda stuff.

Old 01-14-06, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Davejb
To a point, depending on what he does with his machine, he may see a good improvement or he may see no improvement at all going from 512 to a gig.
I believe I said that.

Old 01-15-06, 07:47 AM
I upgraded from 512 to 1G ( 2.8 ghz pent) a while back. When I play certain games, or use photoshop, I notice the difference. Other than that, I see no noticable change in performance.

Old 01-15-06, 02:50 PM
You will notice the difference on memory intensive programs. That is, on programs that use a lot of memory, or programs that CAN use a lot of memory and/or with programs that access memory quickly.

Games fall into this category. Photo (and other file) manipulation programs fall into this category. Word processors and spreadsheet programs don;t usually fall into this category, unless you are doing complicated operations on very large files.