memory question

Old 01-18-06, 08:06 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
memory question

Not quite sure about this stuff so here goes. I have a piece of data logging equipment that has internal memory or you can plug in a 64 mb flash ata pc card into it's slot and save the data. I guess you can then transfer the card to a laptop and dump the data. We have a newer laptop that I believe has this slot ( looks a lot smaller than a standard floppy drive). My question is how do you use this card on a standard desktop copmputer. Do they make a drive that you can put in a desktop?. Not quite up to date on all this stuff. Please help. Thanks

Old 01-18-06, 08:43 AM
R
ok, when it comes to memory cards, theres many shapes and sizes. What's written on the memory card itself? There should be a brand, model and/or serial. What's the dimensions of the card, get out a ruler.

Most data loggers that i've worked with have some setup to communicate with a computer, via serial port, parallel port etc. Does yours not have one?

Old 01-18-06, 06:04 PM
N
If its a PCIMIA type of card, most laptop have that port, (just bought an HP a year ago and it had one). Its kinda old technology but they're still using it more than floppy's now-a-days. If its a newer laptop with Windows XP all you have to do is insert the card into the slot, and wait for windows to recognize the card. If it requires additional software it would help to install that first.

If it is not a PCIMIA style card and they do have have flash card readers that plug into a computer via USB or serial ports. Just have to find a store that sells them.

Farming equipment uses ata flash card in their data logging equipment. Every year my old man needs the field records downloaded from his combine. I just put the card in my laptop and the software takes care of the rest.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: