save data to a CD RW

Old 01-18-06, 05:16 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
save data to a CD RW

How Can I Save Data To A Cd Rw From Microsoft Works Word Processor Or Microsoft Office Word, I Have Windows Xp.

Also Can I Work The Cd In Another Computer That Have Same Windows.

Thank For The Hellp.............

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 06:17 PM
N
I just fiddle with my Word XP, and i could not find anything within the program what lets you burn to a cd. Windows Media Player will burn cd, if you've got XP that should already be on your computer. I'd burn with that or whatever program you usually burn with.

Most CD-RW will work from computer to computer, its going from computer to stereo to different stereo that they have problems with.

Old 01-20-06, 09:05 PM
C
You have several options:

Save the file to your HDD, then wite it ti a CDR or
CDRW, using a CD burning app or the Windows XP CD burner.

Use the UDF filesystem on a CDRW disc. You can treat it like a floppy, and usually butn from the app

Forget using CDs (IMO they aren't worth the work to make small amounts of short term portable data, but they are good for periodic backups of larger amaounts of data though.)
Instead use a USB flash drive, often called thumb or key drives. They are far more ideal moving files such as word documents amongst computers, apart from network shares.

Old 01-21-06, 10:44 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cd-rw

I have cd-rws that I hardly ever use b/c of cost -I do however use cdrs. There is a place for the cdr-I used them when I used to burn downloads that I wanted to amend-don't forget that there is no true erasing or amending. It appears that way but if you look at the back of the disk you will see space consumed-if you open 'my computer' you will see the amount of space used'left-so each moves consumes space it is just that it can do so. It is true that xp can burn them but it is weak and limited. If you want to burn disks however, use a program like Sonic or Nero. Don't mix up disks you have burned with different programs, for example don't burn with windows and try to read with Sonic. Don't use dla(Sonic) as it renders the disk unable to play on another pc.
The flash drives are ok for portability(like a tube of lipstick) but don't get memorex or you will be involved with unecessary software-you want simple plug and play. You simply plug into the back of your pc-usb 2.0 port and download info; take it with you and upload the info you the next pc(same way, plug in and upload-the machine recognizes the fashdrive) They come in different sizes up to 2 gb but are costly-1 gb about $100. THe old floppies are good for portability up to 600 mb. They are laughed at by super techs but are easy to use, inexpensive, allow for portability of reasonable amounts of data or?
You will get many opinions like mine so you will have to expirement with your needs. Write anytime.

Old 01-21-06, 05:07 PM
N
flash drives are the way to go, they're quickly replacing the floppy disk as you can't buy a laptop with a floppy drive anymore. CD-RW are only good for a few burns as well, floppys (if excessively used) can wear out, you can write a flash drive millions of times and never have problems. well, maybe not millions .

Old 01-22-06, 09:04 PM
Smile CDrw is good for 'small files/folders'

Hi:
I've been saving and transferring 'small files/folders' by using CD-RW(with XP Home Edition) quite awhile now. For me, it works REALLY well. I have others for this, but this method is BEST, due to 'fast' and 'convenience,' ... or just I got used to it, maybe.

Only problem I have, however, ... I need to do the following steps to make things PERFECT, every time I save/transfer files/folders as follows;
BTW, I, too have exact same computers sitting on two tables across the room.

Click: My computer<click icon: DVD/CD-RW<Properties<Recording< and then,
click : Enable CD Recording .... (note: even already 'click' mark in the
box, ... still need to put 'click' mark), finally, "Apply" and 'OK"

Otherwise, it does NOT work.

Good Luck on this.

Old 01-23-06, 05:01 AM
R
CD-RWs should not be used for everyday temporary storage. They will quickly wear out and need to be replaced. I personally never use them for anything. There are much better alternatives. I use a USB drive. You can get 1 GByte models for less than $50.

Old 01-23-06, 06:17 PM
B
I don't use CD-RWs anymore, either. CD-Rs are so cheap. I have importatn files I back up to a CD-R every week. A spindle of 50 on sale is only about $10.
For temp storage - a flash drive (USB drive, thumb drive) is indeed the way to go.

Old 01-24-06, 05:34 AM
P
Originally Posted by BobF
I don't use CD-RWs anymore, either. CD-Rs are so cheap. I have importatn files I back up to a CD-R every week. A spindle of 50 on sale is only about $10.
For temp storage - a flash drive (USB drive, thumb drive) is indeed the way to go.

>>Never overstock when it comes to the ever evolving speed of pc technology. My cd-rws are gathering dust.
I back up my small amount of data like budget etc to a floppy each week and use a new one about once a month. Being retired reduces the need for lots of files etc.
It's strange but my Sonic will write to HP + Stalples cdrs but not to Sony or Maxell. I use cdrs for my wifes art(graphics) work but other than that I only need the floppy-old fashioned but it allows me to 'categorize' several topics that I update often.
I agree the jump/flash drive is the way to go for portability but I think you have to trust the pcs you use.

Old 01-24-06, 08:51 AM
Question I, too like over CDRW or CDRs, ... but noise

Hi Peterr:
It's VERY interesting to read your post, regarding 'old fashioned' Floopy.
Because, I, too LOVE to use for transferring and saving small files/folder.

I did this, 'save/transfer by floppies' until last year, because there are ton of 'floopies' sitting on the corner of my 'big' table. However, it's quite noisy
almost, every time I started to the computer, ... like 'looking for' floppy for another saving/tansferring.

Then, after all I needed to quit this method, ... floppy.

Just wondering whether you have the same problem as I have.
If you have, ... how have you been managing a 'noise' due to 'floppy usage?'

Thanks,

Old 01-24-06, 02:43 PM
tae
you can set your computer to not search for floppy on boot.

Old 01-24-06, 04:27 PM
Question How to do this method?

Hi Tae:

>>>> you can set your computer to not search for floppy on boot <<<<

I accessed several places, including 'properties' of the floppy driver, msconfig,
device driver, and etc., however I was UNABLE to find an answer for this.

Is this needed to access when booting Windows XP?

Thanks,

Old 01-24-06, 06:13 PM
tae
if it only happens on bootup, and not everytime you access a program or the start menu, then you should change the settings in your bios.
set it to startup from the cd first, hard drive second.
there may even be a setting for "access/seek floppy on boot" that would need to be set to off.

Old 01-25-06, 10:05 AM
P
floppy

Originally Posted by PineCone
Hi Peterr:
It's VERY interesting to read your post, regarding 'old fashioned' Floopy.
Because, I, too LOVE to use for transferring and saving small files/folder.

I did this, 'save/transfer by floppies' until last year, because there are ton of 'floopies' sitting on the corner of my 'big' table. However, it's quite noisy
almost, every time I started to the computer, ... like 'looking for' floppy for another saving/tansferring.

Then, after all I needed to quit this method, ... floppy.

Just wondering whether you have the same problem as I have.
If you have, ... how have you been managing a 'noise' due to 'floppy usage?'

Thanks,
>>1- The only noise I get when I use floppies is a little click from the floppy drive. 2- To save to a floppy I right click the folder and 'send to' floppy or 'file' 'save as' A: 3- Why you are having trouble with your A: drive , I would defer to Tae. I also believe you must enter system setup and do as he suggested. It is not hard b/c I even did it and I'm not a tech.
Good luck.

Old 01-25-06, 11:46 AM
Smile

Hi:

>>> The only noise I get when I use floppies is a little click from the floppy drive. 2- To save to a floppy I right click the folder and 'send to' floppy or 'file' 'save as' A: 3- Why you are having trouble with your A: drive ,<<<

--- First, the noise is just 'transient and faint' noise. No loud noise.
The problem I have is two occasions, ... one is when the computer starting 'Windows XP' looking for 'A-Drive.' Other time is after using a floppy disk, as though searching for a floppy disk for writing.
When I stopped using A-drive(Floppy), the noise stopped completely.

However, after having read your previous post, I started missing floppy disks, again. One major reason is 'convenience' and 'easy to use.' Also, it reminds me of my college days when there was ONLY floppy disk available.
Then, overall, it's NOT a bad idea to use it even this 'tech' days. Actually, this morning I used it for saving/transferring to another computer because of wrong e-mails. It works GREAT. I'm just glad to read your post. Otherwise, I never go back to the floppy.

>>> I would defer to Tae. I also believe you must enter system setup and do as he suggested. It is not hard b/c I even did it and I'm not a tech. <<<

--- My computer is manufactured by HP that is pre-installed Microsoft Home Edition with XP, then I'm pretty cautious NOT to access any of the above, although I have CDs which I ordered by mail, ... 'FREE' for owner.

Thanks,

Old 01-25-06, 01:08 PM
P
floppies

Glad to hear you are a floppy fan.
Re: the problems you mention, with H.P. there should be a reformat and reinstall that works automatically if you make a mistake and will return your pc to the way you bought it from the store. Write to H.P. support.
It is a partion on your hard drive which you first back up to dvd or cdrs in case of hard drive failure. Then you just click to 'fix all'.
I would persue getting your machine running properly.
There are some very patient experts in this forum; you also can write H.P. for advice-little by little you will improve the quality of your machine. As I said , back up your automatic recovery then any work you do you can restore to factory settings. Good Luck.