Life Span of Dell 8100

Old 01-19-06, 07:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Life Span of Dell 8100

I have a dell 8100, bought new. Last year the fan was replaced, today the HD went. I have read that computers last 3-6 yrs. Although I have used my computer almost every day, it has not been for very long periods. I would like to keep it as long as possible but don't want to lose money on it. Would appreciate your imput. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-06, 07:50 PM
tae
As soon as you opened the box, you lost money on it.
Some replacements/upgrades are worth it, some not so much.
To help increase it's lifespan, you want to make sure you do regular maintenance on it, like keeping it clean inside. Use a can of compressed air to blow out all the dust on the fans,heatsinks,power supply, etc. Use the power settings to keep things like monitor and hard drive off until needed even if you keep the computer on.

Old 01-19-06, 08:07 PM
Are you talking about Dell or any computer? When is it appropriate to buy a new computer? What are the better quality computer names?

Old 01-19-06, 08:37 PM
tae
Any computer.
As soon as it won't do what you want it to do/if it costs more to fix than buying a new one ($300.00)
most brands like dell,gateway,hp, even alienware pretty much use the same brands for their parts. You need to figure out your basic needs, then figure out your extreme needs, then try to find a computer than can meet those needs best at the price you want to spend. you dont need the latest video card if your not a hardcore gamer, and dont need 1 gig of ram if your not running memory intensive programs, like video editing. you dont need a 300 gig sata hard drive if you dont store music,video's etc, on the computer.

Old 01-19-06, 09:10 PM
Just one more question: I have been getting an error message everytime I was on the computer, sometimes to the point that the computer would have to restart. Would that contribute to the failure of the hard drive? Also, how do you trouble shoot an error (there were never any codes on these errors).Thanks

Old 01-19-06, 09:28 PM
tae
what is the error code? when exactly does it show up?

Old 01-20-06, 06:44 AM
If it's a software related error it would not have caused the hard drive failure, but the error could be the result of the drive going bad.

Old 01-21-06, 11:19 AM
I too had a Dell 8100 and replaced it last year. It was original with Windows ME, 1.7GHZ chip and RAMBUS memory. I attempted to upgrade to Windows XP however I was not able to upgrade several of the drivers for XP compatibility.

That combined with faster processors, expanded memory, I chose to give in and scrap it for new.