Monitor going bad?

Old 01-24-06, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
Monitor going bad?

I have a Proview 17" monitor that is about 2 years old. Just recently the screen will jump around for just a second [may do it several times in a minute] and then everything is back to normal. It seems to only do it while online [dial up]

Does this mean my monitor is fixing to quit? Or is it related to having dial up service?

Old 01-25-06, 02:46 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had the same symptoms (occasional screen jumps and shimmers), and it was the usual culprit: weak solder joint on one of the circuit boards (AKA "dry joint"). CRTs are never soldered as well as they should be, given the voltages they handle, because the manufacturing cost would jump way up. So this standard cost-saving is responsible for the majority of CRT failures.

The solder joint will eventually fail completely, and you may get a roasting smell or smoke. I very doubt you would see flames or sparks, but just to be safe please don't leave this monitor on, unattended.

Shop repair will cost half as much as a new CRT. If you're comfortable with electronics, then why not try finding the burnt out joint and resoldering it. I resoldered mine and got a few months before the same joint went. Then I really cleaned the area and heaped on the solder, fixed it for good.

I hope you know the *unplugged* innards of that Proview 17" can discharge enough voltage to kill you. Read up before opening the case. Good luck.

Old 01-25-06, 05:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Kobuchi
I hope you know the *unplugged* innards of that Proview 17" can discharge enough voltage to kill you. Read up before opening the case. Good luck.

Yah I figured it was pretty much like a TV. I'll probably get one of the kids to check it out for me - they know more about electronics than me and got better eyesight.

Thanks for the reply and info.

Old 01-25-06, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a Proview do the same thing.I took it apart and used a magnifier light combination and found the bad solder joints,resoldered them and it worked like new.

Old 01-25-06, 05:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
All the kids are better with electronics than me so hopefully it won't die before one [or all] of them come by. Maybe I should have the wife cook up a big dinner and invite them...........

thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: