what does this mean

Old 01-25-06, 06:06 AM
joeil
Visiting Guest
what does this mean

ok so down at the clock i have a little monitor that is blue when i move my cursor over it a window pops up and list a speed of 54. this is on my laptop that is wireless. but my desk top that is wired has a speed of 100. and when on line it seems to run alot faster. my desk top is about 4 years old has a gig in it and runs xp. my laptop is about 6months old and also runs xp and has a gig in it as well.
so i guess what im trying to ask is that speed of 54 too slow? and can it be adjusted to 100 like my desk top? if so how?
thank you

Old 01-25-06, 09:23 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I believe the 54 is indicating 54mbps (mega bits per second). This is the standard 802.11g wireless speed. You cannot speed this up without new hardware (ie a new wireless adapter for the laptop and a new wireless router).

If you are connecting to the Internet you don't need anything faster.

Old 01-26-06, 12:18 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Agree with racraft...your wireless speed is perfect. You may see, every now and then, it jump to a lower number for just a few seconds. This is normal behavior for wireless. The constant should be at 54 mbps. If it is ever "stuck" at 1 mbps and you can't connect to the internet, double check your wireless card is enabled (I've accidentally turned off a couple of times by mistake). If enabled, reset your router and modem. This always fixes the problem for me. It doesn't happen too often, but it can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: