What To Buy ?

Old 01-26-06, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What To Buy ?

I'm looking to buy a new computer and I'd like to get some opinions on what I need to make sure the new system has, possibly a ball park idea of what it should cost me, and where I might be able to get the best deal at.
Thanks for the help and suggestions. 4u2

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-06, 05:15 PM
i've bought 5 gateways, 4 locally built units, and manage 16 pc's, 4 thin clients, two servers, and a vpn . my next replacement pc will be a Dell.

Old 01-26-06, 06:53 PM
tae
make sure it has a case,power supply,processor,some memory, an on/off switch is good..........
no, really....we need a little more info about what your plans for it are...just web surfing,email,video viewing/editing,gaming,watching movies,recording movies,running your house,etc.

Old 01-26-06, 06:59 PM
THE CASE !!! that's what i've been forgetting ! thanks tae

Old 01-26-06, 07:09 PM
Make sure you know what you are buying. By that I mean, read the fine print. Sometimes an advertisement will show one model while advertising another. Don't pay attention to the picture, but rather to what the description says.

A good deal may not be such a good deal when you find out that it doesn't include a monitor, or only has one optical drive (making for a slower copy process), or is limited in memory or hard drive space.

If you want/need a monitor then make sure that one is included, and that it is what you want. If you don't want a monitor then don't buy a model that comes with a monitor, especially one that you would have trouble giving away.

If you need software, make sure that it has the software you want. Microsoft Office is not cheap, and it won't be on the computers they advertise for $299.

I only buy Dell products, and by the time I get one the way I want it, it sells for somewhere around $1200 or $1300, without a monitor.

Old 01-26-06, 11:45 PM
"make sure it has a case,power supply,processor,some memory, an on/off switch is good..........
no, really....we need a little more info about what your plans for it are...just web surfing,email,video viewing/editing,gaming,watching movies,recording movies,running your house,etc."

LOL ! Glad you told me about this stuff !
I never would have known I needed all this !!

But really,,, It's just going to be used at home, email, web surfing, etc. Although my youngest (in college) will definitely use it too when she's there on the week ends for doing homework, email, shopping.
Don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse.
Got my office products CD's to reinstall.
Would like to have Windows XP Home installed on the new one.
Just want a good basic system, no frills, but fast enough so that if a couple of pages are both opened while online, it won't take hours to do anything else if we want to, and want to be able to upgrade it after awhile if I need to.

I do know I want at least a Pentium 4 Processor in it,
would like to have at least a 80GB hard drive, decent amount of ram, and a DVD burner.
Other than that, I really don't have a clear idea of what kind of specifications I need to make sure I get.
Thanks again everyone. 4u2

Old 01-27-06, 12:06 AM
tae
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

dell demension base:
Processor
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 521 w/HT Technology (2.8GHz,800FSB)
Operating System
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
Internal Hard Drives
80GB1 Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
$499

Old 01-30-06, 11:42 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone !!
4u2

Old 02-01-06, 12:03 AM
Definitely upgrade to 512mb ram. XP will run on 256mb...barely. 512mb is the preferred amount of ram that XP likes and performs the best with. Preferably dual channel, if your system MB will support it.

And don't get Dell's extended warranty. From all that I've read about it, it's not worth the money you pay for it. You'll get better support right here.