Digital Video Streaming/Editing - Scratch Disks

Old 01-28-06, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Digital Video Streaming/Editing - Scratch Disks

Hello,

I am looking for someone familiar with Digital Video rendering and editing. I am working with a client who recently recieved a computer through the state rehab. office and because of stringent warranties on the turn key computers is stating she isnt able to do what is necessary.

She states she needs to create 4 partitions on her harddrive for scratch disks (mainly for Adobe Video Collection). She is setup with an 80GB (boot - mainly for the software) and a 250 GB secondary HD. From my understanding the scratch disk is used for rendering the video/effects and music and when the RAM runs out. Wouldnt she be able to simply direct in Adobe that the scratch disk for video persay is D:/Video/ and then do the same type thing for audio etc... Or do these need to be actual partitions. To me it seems like a folder on a large drive would be better than a partion with only a fraction of the space. Please assist. Also, if there is anything else important I am missing about these or something the jumps out in the digital video area please state.

Thanks a MILLION

justin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-06, 09:01 AM
My guess is that scratch disks require contiguous hard drive space for optimal performance, much like the Windows swap file. A dedicated partition would allow this, whereas, simply using a folder on the main partition would subject it to fragmentation as other data accessed on the disc is read/written.

Old 01-28-06, 07:01 PM
tae
Scratch disks refer to the hard drive on the computer where you will be capturing and saving all of the video files. The scratch disk should be set to an available drive that has between 40-80+ GB of storage space and does not contain any additional programs or files besides the Premiere video files you will be working with.
To do this go to: Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks and Device Control. Selecting this from the menu will pop up a Preferences box.
Use the drop-down box scroll to Select Folder and change the path to the D drive.

It may need 4 partitions ,one for each setting like Video Capture, Audio Capture, Video Render and Audio Render. It keeps everything nice and seperate. Make the 4 partitions on the 250 gb drive. No problems.

Old 01-28-06, 09:35 PM
Thanks for your responses.

Only problem - the computer was purchased through the state rehab agency here, the warranties and guidlines wont allow this particular person to partioning of the drive.

But, the responses backed up what I thought, just wasnt sure if we could get away without the partions.

justin

Old 01-30-06, 08:42 AM
You're not allowed to re-partition the drives? If I may ask, why not? (just out of curiosity)

Old 01-30-06, 03:04 PM
bf140-Albert
Visiting Guest
Were you able to read the installation materials for yourself?

Adobe has a support site at http://www.adobe.com/support/cfcomp.html If you are in a position to register the software, you may be able to get complimentary setup help directly from Adobe. Since your client is the beneficiary of a state-sponsored aid program, the software may already be licensed in the name of the state agency running the program. This would block you from getting support from Adobe. You still would be able to get library materials for information. Adobe also sponsors forums similar to this one.

This is really a matter between your client and the state. You will probably get nowhere unless you are a state employee yourself working on behalf of the client in some official capacity - Social Services Case Worker, for example.

It may turn out that the configuration will be adequate for the training projects you client will do with no change. Determine if your client has actually been unable to use the software as (the state program) intended.

It makes sense to me that the state would restrict the user in some ways to make sure that the equipment would be limited as much as possible to its intended purpose.

Old 01-31-06, 06:26 PM
"You're not allowed to re-partition the drives? If I may ask, why not? (just out of curiosity)"

Turns out we can on the D: drive, there is a software support package which obviously would void if alot of changes were made to their original configuration

"Were you able to read the installation materials for yourself?"

Thank you for posting the link to it, I looked all over the Adobe site and couldnt find anything - this isnt really my specialty"

"This is really a matter between your client and the state. You will probably get nowhere unless you are a state employee yourself working on behalf of the client in some official capacity - Social Services Case Worker, for example."

I am directly involved. Cant make overall decisions though

Thanks for all the great help though!