Old Computer-New Question/Problem

Old 01-30-06, 11:11 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Old Computer-New Question/Problem

My old computer (we are still using this one while I checked into what to get on a new one) had Windows ME installed on it (YUCK !) and an older version of the Microsoft Office Products installed as well.
My youngest, in college, needed to use the newer versions of the Office products for her classwork/homework because the older versions did not have some of the features she needed to use. So, the computer people at her college installed Windows XP Home Edition along with Windows XP Office Products.
Since then, we can't find any of our "Favorites" that we had saved in Internet Explorer and we also can't find any of the email messages we had saved in our "Outlook Express".
Where did they go ?
Can anyone tell me how or where I can look to find them and be able to access them again ?
Thanks everyone, this really has me stumped.... 4u2

Old 01-31-06, 12:17 AM
tae
You need to find out if they used an upgrade disk, or did a format/fresh install of xp.
If they formatted the hard drive and didn't save anything, then it's gone.

Old 01-31-06, 12:31 AM
bf140-Albert
Visiting Guest
My old system was an NT 4.0 Workstation system. I don't want to answer your question with information about the wrong system, but perhaps I can help you find the files you want using Windows Explorer. I'm assuming that the XP system was laid over top of your ME system on the C drive.

Make sure you are logged in as a user with administrative priviledges.

Use the search facility to find 'inbox.dbx' The directory that contains this file is your Outlook Express folder. Include hidden files in your search. You will probably find two folders with .dbx files in them. Select view details to see the timestamp on the files you find. The older group will be left over from the ME system. Remember the path (directory structure) needed to get to these files. Use file>import in your XP Outlook Express to merge this data into your current setup.

Now look for Favorites. In my NT system these were in C:\WINNT\Profiles\[userid]\Favorites (ME might be different, but search will find them) in my XP system Favorites are in Documents and Settings under [userid]. You can simply copy the contents of your old favorites into your XP favorites.

Old 01-31-06, 12:34 AM
C
Unhappy

From what I can find out, they didn't do an upgrade, installed XP, but not a "fresh" install. Used a Windows XP Home Edition, Full Edition. Just installed XP on top of ME. And they didn't format anything. Thanks, I sure hope this helps you know what happened and what I need to do.

Old 01-31-06, 04:51 AM
R
If they were smart, they allowed XP to format and you have lost everything. I say smart because it is never a good idea to install on top of another OS, it only adds to the problems.

However, if they did this they should have saved your stuff first.

Consider this a blessing. You got Windows XP (Microsoft's best operating system to date), and got rid of Windows MyEnemy (Microsoft's worst operating system to date).

Old 02-03-06, 12:01 PM
C
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you all about this.

Thanks for the advice guys.

bf140-Albert,
Thanks for the details. I've tried what you said, I can find the outlook express files, but can't get them to move anywhere.

I've looked for the "favorites", but they're not where yours were. Any other ideas ? I know they're here,,,, SOMEPLACE !!
Thanks again, 4u2

Old 02-03-06, 09:15 PM
bf140-Albert
Visiting Guest
[prologue] I like to actually try out the procedures I suggest because I feel that it does no good to 'help' someone do things that can't be done or shouldn't be attempted.

[damaging confession] I don't have a Windows ME system here to work with.

[sorting things out anyway] You should find an Import action under File in the upper left hand corner of your Outlook Express window after you open it. Use this action to import messages from other email systems and earlier version of Outlook Express. This is the way you copy messages into the version of OE you want to run from the folders you found using the search for .DBX files. Note that you cannot copy messages stored in later versions of OE than yours.

Favorites on your system is more of a mystery, but lets find them anyway. I am going to suggest you try a different approach using the command prompt instead of search. A difficulty of remote hands-on tech support is that I can't see for myself what you see. I don't know if you got your search almost right or if Favorites is hidden or if reinstalling the system simply reused the same folders as the previous system and wiped it out.

Find and open the command prompt window. Note: On your system this might be called a 'MS/DOS' window. Don't use Run because it doesn't display the results of the commands you enter. In Command Prompt, first type 'C:\' to set the current directory to the root.
Then type 'dir *favorites* /a:d /s' This starts a search for all the folders named favorites on your system. The results will be displayed in the command prompt window.

Later versions of the command prompt window scroll so you can use the right hand scroll button to see results that rolled off the screen. DOS did not do this. If your system does not scroll, modify the instructions as follows: Identify your temp folder. It might be called TEMP or TEMPORARY. We will use it to store our dir command results long enough to examine them. Where I put temp below, put the actual name of your temporary file.

Enter 'dir *favorites* /a:d /s>c:\temp\diresult.txt' You won't see any results for this command because they have been redirected into the file called c:\temp\diresult.txt. Open notepad and then within notepad, open c:\temp\diresult.txt. Now you can read the whole command output, even the part that would have scrolled off the screen. For each hit you will see the symbol (bracket)DIR(bracket) and to the side (earlier versions put file names on the left and later one put them on the right) the name favorites. The directory path for each hit is on the line above. You can then use this information in Windows Explorer to examine each directory to see which one has the stuff you want to keep.

You didn't say whether or not you have more than one HD on your system. I redirected my IE files on my NT 4.0 system to a secondary HD to get better use of my C drive. If you have more than one partition or HD, look for favorites on the other drives, too.

Close the command prompt window by typing 'exit'.

Last edited by bf140-Albert; 02-04-06 at 09:02 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: