USB Cable difference

Old 01-31-06, 07:33 AM
EdS
Visiting Guest
USB Cable difference

Hello-

I have a few questions about USB cable. I'm planning on running about 30' (15' of A/A extension and 15' of regular A/B) of USB from my computer to my printer through walls and attic. Questions are:

1) what is the difference between the $5.00 and the $35.00 cable? (I'm aware the shielding is better, is this it?)

2) Do I really need the more expensive cable?

3) What's the worse that can happen by using the cheaper cable?

I just want to see if I really need to spend the extra $60.00.

Thanks!

Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-06, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EdS
1) what is the difference between the $5.00 and the $35.00 cable? (I'm aware the shielding is better, is this it?)
The difference is $30 per cable.

2) Do I really need the more expensive cable?
No

3) What's the worse that can happen by using the cheaper cable?
You'll spend the $60 dollars you saved on booze.

All this being said, 30 feet of straight USB cable is far beyond the specified cable limit length of 5 meters (about 16.5 feet). It most likely will not work. You would need to have an active hub in there somewhere (between the two cables, and halfway between the cable run).

That also being said, I have read of amplified/active cables that can accomplish the same task as having a hub connected between cable lengths. I can't speak from personal experience whether these work well or not.

Edit: Something like this:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/u...ve_cables.html

Of course, you would still need to chain two of these together to get the length that you require.

Old 01-31-06, 10:17 AM
EdS
Visiting Guest
I've heard/read about the "booster" cable. Thanks for the insight. Also, what is the difference between USB 1.0 and 2.0?

My computer is a 2000 HP 900Mhz running windowsME. I'm connecting to a brand new Konica-Minolta color laser. The printer works just fine with my old 6' USB cable but I have no idea what it was since it came with the free printer I got with the computer.

Old 01-31-06, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by EdS
My computer is a 2000 HP 900Mhz running windowsME.
My condolences on your operating system.

Unless you have added a USB 2.0 interface (which would be a waste on a computer this slow), then you only have USB 1.1. A computer that old only came with USB 1.1. The cables for the two specifications are the same as far as pin-out. For USB 2.0 they specify a better quality cable because the maximum signal speed is quite a bit higher.

Last edited by racraft; 01-31-06 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 11:44 AM
bf140-Albert
Visiting Guest
Create a network printer setup instead

Consider running ethernet through the house to a USB print server located close to the printer. Linksys makes a server that might work for you. This allows you to place the device close to an outlet you can plug it into for power. You would be creating a network connection instead of an extended local USB connection, but on the plus side, the cable is rated to make the run you need with no repeaters or hubs in the middle.

Old 01-31-06, 11:54 AM
I thought I remember reading that USB connections should be no more than 15'.

Old 01-31-06, 03:22 PM
Q1: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?
A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).
http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5/

Old 01-31-06, 05:53 PM
I'd also consider a wireless connection. Less work but could be more frustrating to get working.

Old 01-31-06, 10:06 PM
tae
take that money and go wireless:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=371

Old 02-03-06, 11:17 AM
EdS
Visiting Guest
I want to thank everyone for thier input. I did go to the USB.org website and read up on this technology. I think the active extension is my best option right now.

Racraft,
I'm not surpirse by your reaction with WindowsME. I get that often. I'm in the process of upgrading to XP.

Thanks again.

Ed