Laser Printer--Brother or Xerox?

Old 02-02-06, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laser Printer--Brother or Xerox?

We're in the market for a laser printer for home, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Brother HL-2700 or the Xerox Phaser 6120.

Does anyone have any experience with these brands? Good, bad, o.k.???

We are weighing the cost of toner/per page amount, replacement consumables (transfer belt, fuser, etc).

Both printers can be bought right now for $450 after rebate.

The Brother has a transfer belt and fuser as replaceable parts, which are so expensive we'd end up just getting a new printer if they ever go out. The belt is good for 60,000 images, and the fuser for 35,000 I believe.

The Xerox has one replaceable part, which is an image unit, $155, good for 20,000 black/10,000 color images (guess you can average it at 15,000 really if you use a bit of color now and then, but mostly black).

Personally, I think just for a home printer it would take forever to have to replace any of the consumables, and am leaning towards the Xerox. Yes, the brother transfer belt does get 3 times more images, but it's also 3 times more expensive to replace (which, of course we wouldn't). So I'm leaning towards the Xerox.

Also, since the transfer belt is considered a consumable, it's not warranted, and if the Brother transfer belt (basically an image drum) went out before it's time, we'd be up the creek.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-06, 06:22 PM
Why not HP? The king of laser printers. There are millions of places that carry parts/toners etc. If you are only insterested in these two, I would go Xerox. But if there is a HP unit in your price/spec range, I would go HP.

Old 02-03-06, 08:54 AM
We don't want HP because we've had problems with every HP printer we've ever bought. Yes, they were inkjetc, but problems nonetheless. Plus, I see many HP Laser printers for sale on the refurbished list, so that tells me something as well.

Old 02-03-06, 09:30 AM
You can't really judge a company's laser printers by the quality of their inkjets. Most inkjets are meant to appeal to the low end of the budget spectrum, so of course they're not going to last forever. They're dirt cheap, after all. Unless you're talking about HPs higher end inkjets, then maybe you could make a case.

Also, why would refurbished indicate that they are unreliable? It just means they are popular.

Personally, after having used an HP Laser full time for the last few months, I'll never buy another brand of laser printer.

Old 02-03-06, 10:07 AM
The HP Inkjets we've had (two of them) were their higher end ones--close to the $400 range.

I don't expect them to last forever, but both of them had to be sent back for repairs within the first 6 months of owning them.

To me, if you have a lot of refurbished items for sale, it means you've had a lot of items sent back under warranty that broke. Perhaps I'm reading too much into that???

Anyway, we want to go with something other than HP.