Dvd Format

Old 02-06-06, 10:21 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Dvd Format

I just bought my 1st DVD-RW. I have no experience with DVD's. Do I have to format the DVD media before the WinXP explorer can read it? My backup program format the DVD before my 1st backup but I cant see the results on the explorer. If I have to format each DVD, what kind of program should I get? Thank you

Old 02-06-06, 11:26 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

If you insert a blank DVD into your drive WINXP should recognize it as a blank CD. You try and view it it should work, but of course will be blank.

WinXP itself cannot burn data onto DVDs as far as I know thus other software is needed. Did your burner come with some for making DVDs?

I personally use Nero Burning Rom, but there are numerous free alternatives I'm sure.

There is no pre-formatting required for burnering. It takes me 3 easy steps to get data from my hard drive onto a DVD in less than 1 minute.

1) Select DVD type: ISO for normal data (i.e. text files, word documents, images, .exe files, whatever); DVD-Video for movies; etc.

Visual Ex:

2) Select files I want to burn.

3) Click burn.... thats it..

Visual Ex:

The term Format in regards to disk drives or CD/DVD burning is often used when you wish to erase whatever is on there already.

Hope some if any of this was helpful.

Last edited by mattison; 02-07-06 at 03:57 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: