last known good configuration

Old 02-09-06, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
last known good configuration

I was told I can access this feature with xp by holding f8 while booting up. How or when should it be used in comparison to system restore? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-06, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
that sounds like one of a few ways to boot in safe mode. what are you trying to accomplish ?

Old 02-09-06, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
last known good config

Originally Posted by flopshot
that sounds like one of a few ways to boot in safe mode. what are you trying to accomplish ?
>>I have no problems but am trying to learn. In doing so I inquired about this feature to gather info as to what it does and if it is better than system restore or not. It is a matter of learning about 'fix it' features BEFORE a problem occurs. Any help appreciated.

Old 02-09-06, 08:03 PM
If you can boot up, and the computer runs fine, use "system restore" if you run into problems later.

If you have problems booting up, hit F8, and use "last known good configuration" to get up and running.

Old 02-09-06, 08:17 PM
agree with praxius. one thing i do on a new system is establish a clean, as new, restore point before anyone gets their hands on it or before it sees the web. then go straight to microsoft and update the software. establish another restore point and you're on your way.

Old 02-10-06, 06:44 PM
I haven't used system restore more than 3 times because, in my opinoin, it sucks. LastKnownGood has saved my butt a few times. LastKnown is what I used when a program wouldn't let my computer boot because of a problem in the registry. When selecting this it will revert to the LastKnownGood version of the registry (in my case it was before the corrupt information was put in) and I was able to boot. One caveat: LastKnownGood is NO good as soon as you login, at that point the LastKnownGood is replaced with the current seession because it is assumed, since you just logged in, that all is well

Joe