Registry/config error??

Old 02-09-06, 04:46 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Registry/config error??

I recently had cable internet installed. The contracted installer started to install the drivers onto my PC but said it was too old to support it or something along those lines. I planned on getting a new computer anyway so I got one.

Now I want to transfer files from the old one to the new one. Well, the contractor screwed up my registry on the old computer. I get a registry/configuration error when I log on and it says the following are missing:

c:\windows\himem.sys
c:\windows\dblbuff.sys
c:\windows\ifshlp.sys

What do I need to do to access my files? I have the original installation CDs that came with the computer. Help!

Old 02-09-06, 06:39 PM
R
Install the drive as either a second drive in your new computer and simply copy the files, or install it into a USB drive case and use it as an external drive.

You may also be able to repair the Windows installation on your drive, either by manually copying in the files you need from another computer running that same OS, or by using the original install CDs. This will be much harder than simply moving the drive.

Old 02-09-06, 08:05 PM
R
What operating system is on the defunct computer? Do you have the OS on a cdrom?

Old 02-10-06, 04:56 AM
H
The old computer runs windows 98 - I don't think I have that on CD. The computer is an IBM Optiva and I just have the original install CDS for that.

Old 02-10-06, 11:22 AM
R
What I've done when mine had win98 on it is to reinstall the OS w/o reformatting. Search for the file win.com; rename it something different (like win.moc) save and close. Then insert a bootable win98 cd and it will install the OS w/o losing any of your data files. You can find win98 cds around for fairly cheap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: