external hard drive

Old 02-09-06, 06:40 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
external hard drive

Is it possible for windows XP to be installed on and boot from an external USB hard drive?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-06, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a BIOS that allows you to choose a USB device as your boot drive, I don't see why not.

Check your CMOS setup (usually press "Delete" or some other key at bootup), to see if this option is allowed. However, if you're not familiar with CMOS settings, don't change anything! You can muck up your system at best, and render it inoperable at worst.

Old 02-10-06, 02:15 PM
It's my Nephew's dell laptop inspiron 1100. It has USB device in the bios boot menu, and we set it up to first boot from CD then USB then HD. He has removed the HD from the laptop, inserted the restore disk, it formats and loads all the files on the USB drive but when windows re-boots after the install, he gets a blue screen saying an error loading windows. I'm not sure on what the error actually says because we were doing this over the phone. I think he will probably break down and buy a new HD for it, but I was currious to if it would work or not and would a USB connection be fast enough for windows. Could the "USB boot" be for a thumb drive in place of a boot floppy? and not ment for a HD? Thanks

Old 02-10-06, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Doorman2722
It's my Nephew's dell laptop inspiron 1100. It has USB device in the bios boot menu, and we set it up to first boot from CD then USB then HD. He has removed the HD from the laptop, inserted the restore disk, it formats and loads all the files on the USB drive but when windows re-boots after the install, he gets a blue screen saying an error loading windows. I'm not sure on what the error actually says because we were doing this over the phone. I think he will probably break down and buy a new HD for it, but I was currious to if it would work or not and would a USB connection be fast enough for windows. Could the "USB boot" be for a thumb drive in place of a boot floppy? and not ment for a HD? Thanks

OK, the repair disk, in this situation, isn't gonna do squat for you. What you need to do is (keep the HD out), boot to the CD and let it do what it needs to do, you MIGHT need to load the USB drivers during the CD install, there is a key you press and then point to the files. This MIGHT work and it is your best chance...I would just break down and buy a new HD, that is certainly the easiest. If the USB does load and you boot windows from it, it will be slower than the HD for sure.

Joe

Old 02-10-06, 07:29 PM
Alright so why have the USB option in the bios boot sequence? do you think it is for a HD boot or for a PC without a floppy drive to boot from a thumb drive, like a boot disc floppy? And I don't know what you are talking about when you say "OK, the repair disk, in this situation, isn't gonna do squat for you." who said anything about a repair disk?

Old 02-10-06, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Doorman2722
Alright so why have the USB option in the bios boot sequence? do you think it is for a HD boot or for a PC without a floppy drive to boot from a thumb drive, like a boot disc floppy? And I don't know what you are talking about when you say "OK, the repair disk, in this situation, isn't gonna do squat for you." who said anything about a repair disk?
Sorry, as I mentioned in a differnt post, I don't use the 'restore disk' option so I had the wording wrong, I meant to say restore disk, not repair disk...although in my field if you say repair disk I would know what you are talking about.

Joe

Old 02-11-06, 05:32 AM
Thanks joe, I guess i will go back and do some more googling