Ram ?

Old 02-11-06, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ram ?

is there a difference between pc24200 ddr2 ram and pc4200 ddr2 ram? or are they the same thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-06, 11:16 PM
tae
DDR2 is the next-generation evolution of DDR memory technology. DDR2 memory features faster speeds, higher data bandwidths, lower power consumption, and enhanced thermal performance.

DDR2 will be available on desktops, servers, notebooks, telecommunications/networking and other platforms in the following form-factors:

* Unbuffered DIMMs, ECC or non-ECC
* Registered ECC DIMMs
* MicroDIMMs
* Mini Registered DIMMs
* SO-DIMMs
* Custom Modules

DDR2 memory modules come in 400MHz, 533MHz and 667MHz speeds (data rate), with 800MHz DDR2 memory expected in late 2005 or in 2006.

DDR2 memory modules will not be backward-compatible with DDR, due to incompatible pin configurations, voltage, and DRAM memory chip technology. DDR2 modules have a different "key" than DDR modules in the edge connector to prevent insertion into incompatible memory sockets.

Memory Speed are offered in 400, 533 & 667Mhz
Memory Chip classification are named : DDR2-400 , DDR2-533Mhz and DDR2-667Mhz
Module DIMM Classificiation are named : PC2-3200 or 400Mhz) , PC2-4200 or 533 mhz and PC2-533 or 667Mhz
Module Bandwidth : PC2-3200 = 3.2 Gb/s , PC2-4200= 4.2 Gb/s & PC2-5300= 10.6 Gb/s

Last edited by tae; 02-11-06 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-12-06, 06:55 PM
well i don't know if you read my question or not but I think i got an answer out of it. I didn't ask what ddr2 ram is...

Old 02-12-06, 07:24 PM
tae
i read your question, and gave you an answer. it was an easy enough question without giving you a yes or no answer.

Old 02-12-06, 08:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
funny, I don't see the answer to the question you answered? lots of info regarding DDR and DDR2...

Old 02-13-06, 08:46 AM
Yes, it is the same stuff.

Old 02-13-06, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by air biscuit
Yes, it is the same stuff.

thats all I wanted to know, thank you for the "no b.s." answer .

Old 02-13-06, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by tae
i read your question, and gave you an answer. it was an easy enough question without giving you a yes or no answer.
If it was easy enough, why did you both typing a short story about it? If you're implying i'm some kind of idiot for asking, i'm sorry if I some how asked to waste your valuable time. I'm so sorry if I didn't want to spend all night researching DDR ram and simply wanted to ask someone. At $100 a pop for a stick of RAM you kind of want to get the right stuff the first time, being as most places don't allow a return. I have a degree in Electronics Engineering, I know what RAM is, I know what RAM does, I'm simply a few years behind the time.

Old 02-13-06, 08:55 PM
Relax.

Tae has no idea what every single person's knowledge level is here. He was just trying to help and impart some information at the same time. If you think his advice wasn't helpful, kindly state so.

With all due respect, your response to him probably put him on the defensive a little: A simple "Thanks, but that wasn't quite what I was looking for." probably would have sufficed

Old 02-13-06, 10:02 PM
tae
Aw cmon everyone, lighten up.
I was going to write a big ol answer, but why?
You say you know what ram is, well now you know what ddr2 is(no, you didnt ask,but you needed to), and since you now know that, you know what pc2 is. no longer are you behind the times, your knowledge of memory is cutting edge....well, almost. I am glad you came here and asked, cause if you would of spent all night researching ddr, you never would of learned.

I realize the new memory can be confusing to alot of people, which is why i "copied and pasted" the whole shmear. puts it all in perspective, i thought. logical order.

never intended to make you feel or look like an idiot. You were smart enough to come here, yes?
i do however prefer the teach by learn method. course, i also knew that someone like air biscuit would answer also.
Sorry.:nfunny:

Old 02-14-06, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by tae
Aw cmon everyone, lighten up.
I was going to write a big ol answer, but why?
You say you know what ram is, well now you know what ddr2 is(no, you didnt ask,but you needed to), and since you now know that, you know what pc2 is. no longer are you behind the times, your knowledge of memory is cutting edge....well, almost. I am glad you came here and asked, cause if you would of spent all night researching ddr, you never would of learned.

I realize the new memory can be confusing to alot of people, which is why i "copied and pasted" the whole shmear. puts it all in perspective, i thought. logical order.

never intended to make you feel or look like an idiot. You were smart enough to come here, yes?
i do however prefer the teach by learn method. course, i also knew that someone like air biscuit would answer also.
Sorry.
Please accept my apologies Tae, I am at fault by not presenting myself as I probably should have, my bad . I also did know what DDR2 is and how it works, I had never seen the PC2 label before is all. At what time I even knew how the waveforms in RAM worked. But since I don't work in E.E. or even do any kind of electronics work anymore, I really don't care . Just wanted to upgrade a laptop.