laptop

Old 02-12-06, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laptop

I'm looking to purchase a laptop for my 14year-old son.....looking to spend between 5 and 7 hundred.....any clues as to what to look for....we are looking wireless....any suggestions on what to get or web sites that would help us would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-06, 06:13 PM
I don't think you'll find anything worthwhile at that price. In my opinion it's not worth it to go cheap.

Old 02-12-06, 08:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
go to WWW.gotapex.com and just keep watching, it changes daily and will have DELL laptop deals one day or another.. I think there is one on there right now..

Old 02-12-06, 09:57 PM
If your 14 yr old son is anything like my 13 and 16 yr old sons, what you get for $5-700 will soon bore him. Why? Mostly kids that age are into games--
(read HIGH OCTANE video/cpu/ram) You're just not going to find a laptop in that range that they won't soon outgrow. If, however, he will be doing mostly email and web surfing and educational, it may suffice for awhile. Then he'll hand it down to you and you can buy him the next latest and greatest!
In our house, my kids have desktops that I custom built for them with an eye on upgradability. Although they've had the same case/power supply/keyboard mouse/sound card/monitors for a few years; I've been able to selectively uprgrade them to keep ahead of the tech curve.
Good luck

Old 02-13-06, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Office Depot has a decent Gateway on sale in the current flier for $529.99 after rebates. Normally see notebooks in that price range every week in the Sunday sales fliers. Have to be quick, though, they sell out fast. As noted, they likely won't satisfy a serious gamer, but for email, surfing, and homework you can definitely get something in that price range.

Old 02-14-06, 08:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Loaded Inspiron 6000 Notebook Sale $799 shipped free, Feb 13
Hot deal: Dell Home http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...658&oc=D80210F has a loaded Inspiron 6000 main stream Notebook 6.6lb Pentium M 740 1.73Ghz 2MB Cache, 512MB DDR2/60GB 5400RPM HD, CD/DVD burner, 15.4" Wide XGA Screen, Integrated Graphics, 802.11g wireless, 1yr warranty, XP Media Center 2005 $799, Free shipping. Exp Soon. NO tax in some areas.

2% off when checking out using Dell Preferred Account. Select Credit card as payment to see this offer.