Cannot see anything on monitor

Old 02-13-06, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cannot see anything on monitor

My flat screen monitor started darkening at the top of the screen. A few days later the screen was totally black. It's turned on, everything is set right, just can't see anything. I re-booted and could barely see my desktop but it was not legible....there is now nothing to see. What caused this? Is it fixable? Costly? Or is it hopeless?
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 05:31 AM
Verify that it is the monitor. Try it on a good computer, and try a known working monitor on your computer. When you have determined that it is the monitor, properly dispose of the monitor and but a new one.

Old 02-14-06, 09:11 AM
Is this a CRT or LCD? How old? Under warranty?

If CRT then you probably lost the heater cap on the yolk board based on your description of it going dim . If you are experienced, remove the cover so you can see the neck of the CRT, the very end of the neck where the yolk board plugs onto the CRT should glow in an orange color if the heater is working. DONT TOUCH ANY THING! There is usually a Capacitor on this board that over time, heat takes its toll. Usually you can visually see it is bad but hopefully you can still read the values on it. Do you get static on the front of the CRT when you power on?

If LCD then the back light may be bad.