Cleaning out your registry

Old 02-13-06, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning out your registry

What is the best way to clean out your registry of old files? Are there any free programs out there? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 07:40 AM
Yep, lots of them. Do a google search.

I warn you though, any registry cleaner can, and will, delete critical entries if you let it. Be very careful and double check each thing that the tool marks for deletion.

The registry is very complicated and sensitive.

Old 02-13-06, 08:04 AM
Software Restore E machines CD on Dell PC

Thanks, I did find some free ones. Some seem to say they will scan and show you whats in there, but charge a fee to download software to actually make the changes.

On another note, I have a Dell PC that I want to wipe out the hard drive and restore. I don't have the origional software CD's that came with it. But I do have a system restore software CD that came with my E Machines computer. My question is, can I use that E machines software on my Dell computer?

Old 02-13-06, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by rwilson
Thanks, I did find some free ones.
I found one called 'Free Registry Fix'. It seemed to do a good job--found 450 errors in my registry then asked if I would like the errors fixed. Sure, I said. It fixed the 1st 50 errors but then popped up a message saying that I would have to purchase the 'Full Version' to fix the rest (I bought it ... $39.95 ... who wants 400 errors)

When I run it now, it still proclaims itself as 'FREE Registry Fix'. DOH!

Old 02-13-06, 08:50 AM
Registry

Editor, did your machine run any better/faster after you cleaned out the registry?

Old 02-13-06, 10:45 AM
My question is, can I use that E machines software on my Dell computer?
That will be a no due to hardware info in registry and drivers.

Old 02-13-06, 11:14 AM
http://www.ccleaner.com is one of the best free ones.it will take old stuff out that you thought you took out.nope the E machines will not work.

Old 02-13-06, 05:12 PM
Editor, did your machine run any better/faster after you cleaned out the registry?
I ~think~ so but it is hard to tell. Don't know enough about the registry to know for sure. I know that it removed unused program/file links (resulted from my installing/uninstalling software) & a bunch of other things that couldn't have been doing any good. In my case, I suspected a virus or other malicious doodad & Free Registry Fix claimed to have found/killed it.

I run it regularly now with my spyware/virus removal programs. To me, it's a lot like snapping your fingers to keep the alligators away -- so far, no alligators

Old 02-20-06, 07:01 AM
Whatever you do , do not use PC mighty max. I tried it and screwed my computer up!! I lost my Norton, audio and my printer, stay away from this piece of junk. Had to wipe clean and start over, free my heinie!!

Last edited by tae; 02-20-06 at 05:03 PM.