Back-up Software?

Old 02-14-06, 09:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Back-up Software?

I'm running Win2000-Pro and am looking for a back-up program that will let me back-up files in their original format.

The Windows back-up utility creates a .bak file which only allows the user to back-up and restore within its own proprietary window.

I want to be able to back-up files, and then pick and choose certain files from the back-up and either access them directly from the back-up drive, or copy them to another drive.

Plus, I want the back-up process to happen after hours when the PC is not being used. Currently, if I use the "Scheduled Task" option, I can’t get the Windows back-up utility to do its thing, it always asks for prompts to continue…..Not a good thing when you’re trying to do an auto back-up at 4:00 am and you're not there.
Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 09:37 AM
"I want to be able to back-up files, and then pick and choose certain files from the back-up and either access them directly from the back-up drive, or copy them to another drive"

you can't do that. the programs require installation. you could install the software on both machines and migrate data. just copying a file will not allow you to use the program in most cases.

Old 02-14-06, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by flopshot
you can't do that. the programs require installation. you could install the software on both machines and migrate data. just copying a file will not allow you to use the program in most cases.
flops,
I don't want to back-up programs and run them on another PC........I want to be able to back-up things like: MSWord documents, MSAcces data files, photo files in .bmp and .jpg formats as well as audio files like MP3's......

In other words, I'm not interested in backing up my operating system or photo editing programs........I just want to back up the files I create with these programs!

It can be done manually by simply dragging and dropping the files into a back-up folder. There's got to be a way to schedule an automatic back-up of selected files in thier original format. The computer industry couldn't have possibley overlooked something so simple...........could they?
Phil

Old 02-14-06, 12:12 PM
yea, that software usually comes with something like a tape drive. perhaps there is a downloadable version for windows from someone like seagate. i'll poke around, and check my other office pc to see exactly what it is.

Old 02-15-06, 12:53 AM
bf140-Albert
Visiting Guest
Computer Associates makes a good package, and so does Symantec. www.ca.com www.symantec.com The price is $49 - $59 USD full retail, but you might find discounts in local stores. These are full-featured backup packages that allow several backup schemes such as full backup, incremental backup and selected directory/file backup. They feature drive and file level restore. They have schedulers built in to support off-shift backup strategies. They also support a variety of target devices for storing backup files. Commercial backup packages generally do not allow users to access and modify backed up files directly. This destroys the integrity of the backup set. Files must be restored to make them available for continued use.

You will be able to find other other packages as well. As the previous writer said you commonly find backup software bundled in with disk and tape hardware purchases.

Old 02-15-06, 04:46 AM
i'm using yosemeti tapeware with an 8 gig tape drive. info available on their web site.

Old 02-15-06, 06:11 AM
There's not too many programs out there that'll copy via filename... how much data do you have and where is it located?

Ever consider using xcopy as a scheduled task? Some of my clients request this as they want the same file level access that you want.

makes life alot easier if you keep all your data in one folder, such as c:\data and separate all your data within this folder. You can have as many folders in there as you want.

Create a batch file something like this:
cd\data
xcopy *.* x:\data\*.* /s /y (where x: is the backup drive)

You can schedule the task to run after hours using the task scheduler in the control panel.

Good luck

Old 02-16-06, 06:38 PM
I just drag-and drop the folders/files of interest to my backup media.

Old 02-16-06, 07:42 PM
You did not mention what you wanted to back up to. My advise would be to buy a DVD Writer that comes with an OEM copy of Nero 6.6. It will do everything you need.

I purchased a Lite-On 16x DVD writer for < $60 a couple of months ago. To my pleasant surprise, Nero 6.6 allows you to create backup jobs and schedule them to run whenever you want them to.

You can selectively restore individual files, either within the Nero program, or just by browsing the disk the backup was ran on (double-clicking the compressed file allows you to restore it to its original location, OR you can select a new location). Note that the compressed file is NOT a ZIP file, instead it is a "Nero BackItUp Compressed File", so you do have to have Nero installed on the PC you restore to.

I have been impressed with how similar the interface is to Veritas Backup Exec, a $500 product which I have used for years to backup critical corporate data. Obviously, Backup Exec will do more, but this product does everything a home user would likely want.

Old 02-18-06, 03:56 AM
If you have a home network, a spare USB drive and don't mind spending approx $80 you might want to consider buying a Linksys NSLU2 ( http://www1.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=640 ). I have one and love it. It is a little server that you connect to your home network. You can set it up to do automatic, exact copy, backups of specific directories on your other machines on the network. The backups can be full, incremental, or just synchronize two disks/directories. It is very powerful little device.