windows installer

Old 02-17-06, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
windows installer

I keep getting a message saying window installer not running. Would this be why my printer and audio do not work? How can I remedy this?

Windows xp home
sp2

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-06, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by jp13
I keep getting a message saying window installer not running. Would this be why my printer and audio do not work? How can I remedy this?

Windows xp home
sp2
Here is a bit about windows installer that you might not have known and that might help you understand why your printer and audio don't work.

Windows installer is a strange beast. It runs as a service and as a process. The service is a manual startup and is started when any MSI or MSP package gets invoked. However, once the service is started there may be multiple processes of windows installer spawned as processes (in the process list you find out which one is the service by killing all the ones you see, the one that says it can't be killed is the service, the others are the process).

MSI works in the following manner: when an MSI package gets installed that package is registered in the registry and copied to the file system. When any component of the original package is missing or damaged, windows installer will attempt to repair it.

An MSP file applies only to an existing MSI file. They are related but the internal structire between MSP and MSI is totally different.

All that being said, it is possible your printer and audio drivers were installed using MSI packages, it isn't likely. What is most likely is that something with either device isn't working properly and needs to be reinstalled.

You can download windows installer 2.0 from microsoft.com and see if that helps, otherwise it would be helpful to see the errors reported by each device to better understand why they aren't working.

Joe

Old 02-17-06, 10:50 PM
tae
Old 02-20-06, 06:56 AM
Tried everything possible. Recieved cd's from HP and wiped computer clean. Everything back to square 1 until anoter glitch. Thank you all for the ideas anyhow!