No display no beep

Old 02-18-06, 01:58 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No display no beep

About four months ago my son started a job in another country. He left his computer, which was working, with me. He came to visit for a weekend and tried to set up the computer for me to use; but it did not work. There was no display on the screen. We even tried a monitor that works on another computer; but still there was no dislpay. Also there was no sound of a beep on power up. The computer is greater than 1.0 MHz. It has two memory chips of 500 and 700 MB each, two hard drives each of 40 or more Gigabytes. It has wireless keyboard and mouse and a board with TV converter. What could be the problem?
George

Last edited by ghelp; 02-18-06 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling - "beep" , not "neep".
Old 02-18-06, 07:09 PM
First, your description of the RAM is not quite correct, there is no such thing as a 500 or 700MB stick, the come in incriments of 64, such as 128, 256, and 512. The next step up is 1GB.
First thing I would do is remove and reseat the memory modules and see what happens.

Old 02-18-06, 07:34 PM
tae
did any lights light up when you tried to start it? Anything? All cables plugged in well? plugged into a good outlet? is there a switch on the back of the power supply to turn it off?

Old 02-18-06, 08:43 PM
G
Still no beep sound

I Took out the two memory chips. One was labelled "128 SDRAM". The other was labelled "512 I remember; the rest I forgot -512 SMD ram??". I reseated them both - I heard them snap in, and I saw them look firmly seated. When I pressed the power switch in front, led lights came on. Some went off but the power green light remained on. I see and hear the fan at the rear turning. But there was no beep sound.
( After midnight tonight, I will not check for replys until Monday afternoon. )
George

Old 02-22-06, 01:01 PM
G
What could be my computer problem? I check for replies daily. Thanks.
George

Old 02-22-06, 02:33 PM
J
Bad ram would generally give error beeps so reseating the ram was steering you into the wrong direction. What we do know is the computer is getting power and I think you described the HD light flashing on and off a couple times. We know the monitor works because you tested it with 2 of them. If there is no video the problem is video card or motherboard. If there is also no beep and there always was a beep before the the motherboard is likely a goner. They are less than a hundred bucks so I would replace it or take it to someone who really knows computers to look at it.

Old 02-22-06, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by JohnnyM76
Bad ram would generally give error beeps so reseating the ram was steering you into the wrong direction.
I said nothing about bad RAM, re-read my post. RAM can develope poor contact in the socket over time, this can result in the PC powering on with a no POST/no video condition, with no beep codes. The same thing can happen with the CPU. Reseating the RAM should ALWAYS be one of the first steps in a no POST/video condition.

Old 02-22-06, 05:38 PM
J
Old wives tale. I used to work tech support and yes 1 of the rules was to make the poor *******s reseat the ram but honestly, I never witnessed that fix a no video/beep problem. Maybe in 6 years I was just lucky?

Old 02-22-06, 05:47 PM
D
A few ideas

When I get problems like this, I prefer to get down to basics. The first thing I would do would be to find a keyboard and a mouse that are not wireless and connect them directly to the computer (USB or PS2)... that is if you have any laying around. Next, remove all boards (except for the video board), including the TV board and boot with the bear minimum, this is to eliminate as many hardware conflicts as possible.

You can do this first if you prefer not to yank the boards first, try one memory and then the other (do not have both in at the same time). This will eliminate a bad memory chip. You will have to make sure your MB does not require a single memory board to occupy a specific bank location.... if it does, make sure you put the single chip in the correct location. If it works with one but not the other RAM chip, replace the one it did not work with.

I am going to assume you are getting no video at all on the monitor, not even the initial boot messages (this is not a Mac, correct?). If this is the case, and removing the RAM and removing all the non-essentials did not solve the problem, it is more than likely either the MB (or just the BIOS) OR (more likely) the video board. If this system has on-board video (I do not like on board video), you can probably disable the on-board video and install a very cheap video board to see if it works.

Sorry to jump around, but one other thought, does it have a TV tuner or TV converter? Does the TV board have a video output (RCA, S-video)? If so, do you get a picture when you hook the video output to a TV?

Old 02-22-06, 06:01 PM
Old wives tale. I used to work tech support and yes 1 of the rules was to make the poor *******s reseat the ram but honestly, I never witnessed that fix a no video/beep problem. Maybe in 6 years I was just lucky?
well, in my ten years and running as a PC tech and actually working on systems I've run in to it numerous times, don't assume it's incorrect just because you have no knowledge of it.

Old 02-23-06, 05:44 AM
PC no POST

Whenever you have this type of problem there can be manu causes from bad power supply to even motherboard or CPU failure.

Since you said this machine had been sitting for some time and worked before this lapse in use I would certainly assume there is a possibility that a connection may have corroded and I would try this first.

If you feel confident you can do this try the following: Make sure power cord is unplugged from the wall while you plug and unplug stuff. Try the system again after each step.

With the case removed turn on the PC and observe the fan on the CPU and see if it is spinning and also look through the back of the power supply and see if that fan is spinning. If either of these are not spinning you can stop here and post your answer and we will go from there.

unplug every power connector and ribbon cable from hard drives, floppies motherboard etc one at a time and immediately reinsert them.

If that doesn't help remove any boards plugged into the motherboard (ie video, sound etc) one at a time and reinsert them. This will renew connections that might be corroded.

If all of the above fails, unplug the machine and remove the memory and then turn the system on. See if you get some beeps by doing this.

I will stop here for now let us know your progress and we will go from there.

Old 02-23-06, 04:24 PM
G
Two short beeps

The only thing that I did was open the case ( it is not a Mac ) and turn the power on. There were two short beeps. The video display came on; but became fuzzy after the Windows XP icon came on, such that the display was illegible. I removed the video/tv card and replaced it with the plain video card that I borrowed from the computer that I am using, and the video came on fine. But there are still two short beeps. The wireless keyboard is not working. I forgot to try the wireless mouse. But I plugged in a corded mouse, and this corded mouse works.
George

Old 02-24-06, 07:50 AM
J
ghelp-so did you get this ok? Your last post sounded like there may have been progress. If not then the model number of the machine or the make/model of the mother board could help find out what "two beeps" might mean on your system.

JohnnyM-To give you just one possible scenario...This machine sounds like it been moved. Just moving the machine around can cause enough flex/movement to unseat DIMMs and other cards. Reseating hardware is always a best practice. that's why you were told to try it on your phone calls.

/cheers

Old 02-24-06, 12:22 PM
G
Some progress

I replaced the original cards inside ( the wireless and the video/tv ).
I attached a larger screen 17inch.
When I powered up, it was the same (improved) video came on and two short beeps.
I removed one of the chips (the 512mb chip) and left the 128mb chip in place. then powered up - no video, no beep.
I placed the 128mb chip into the other memory slot and powered up - no video, no beep.
I replaced the 128mb chip with the 512mb chip and powered up - video came on with two short beeps. This was repeated with the 512mb chip in the other slot - video came on with two short beeps. The wireless keyboard and wireless mouse are still not working.
My bios is AMIBIOS 1999 SB62 2322
Is it memory or motherboard problem? Obviously, the 128mb chip may be bad.
George

Old 02-24-06, 02:28 PM
J
You say the mouse and keyboard are not working? Does the computer actually boot up fully after the 2 error beeps? Maybe I missed this someplace.

Old 02-24-06, 06:43 PM
G
It boots up

Yes. The computer actually boots up and ready to go as if everything is fine with various normal icons on the screen. The only problem now is that it does not respond to the wireless key board and the wireless mouse. ( Also there were two beeps during boot up ).

Old 02-24-06, 08:10 PM
tae
AMI BIOS Beep Codes

Normally, a computer with AMI BIOS doesn't bother with beeps. It will flash an error message right across your screen. It's when the video card isn't working or something rather serious goes wrong that your computer will start beeping.
# of beeps 2
What's Wrong
Your computer has memory problems. First, check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. Check your SIMMs. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks in which your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all of your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

Old 02-25-06, 07:02 AM
J
De Za Vu? .

Old 02-25-06, 12:07 PM
D
2 beeps

Do you have AMI BIOS?

If you have the video working and it is booting up, it is NOT a fatal memory error and will more than likely not cause a keyboard/mouse not to work. As I said earlier, dump the wireless keyboard (temporarily) and mouse and connect to the PS2 port (if you have one) on the machine.

Also, if you are not doing so already, turn the monitor on before you turn the machine on. See if an error message flashes on the screen.

Finally, what puzzles me (and this is to not say I am right), but generally, if there are boot errors, the machine will freeze (pause) and give you a keystroke (e.g. F2) to continue booting. If you do not have to do this, it is not a fatal error. I think the important thing you need to do is get the keyboard and mouse working, then you can go into the control panel and check out driver status and see if you can narrow things down.

Old 02-25-06, 07:19 PM
G
I removed the wireless card and unplugged the cordless mouse and keyboard receiver.
I attached a mouse to a connector (D connector).
I connected a Compaq keyboard to the ps2 plug. (The computer is NOT a Compaq).
The screen was plugged in and turned on before booting. No error message was observed.
The screen display is ok.
The cursor responds to the mouse (the mouse works).
The keyboard does not work. (the keyboard lights go on temporatily at boot up)
The two short beeps still sound at boot up.
How do I check the driver status - and with the mouse only?
George

Old 02-25-06, 08:29 PM
tae
ok,so now the only problems are 2 beeps at boot and no working keyboard?

Old 02-26-06, 04:35 AM
D
Very close?

Without being there, it is hard to tell, but it almost sounds like the 2 beeps are Windows generated and not BIOS generated (once again, the machine does not freeze up during the initial system check). I think you are to a point where 5 minutes on the phone with a tech (a good tech) will reveal the problem, but I will tell you a few things to check as well (and yes, you can more than likely do this with only a mouse).

First, for my info, verify when you hear the 2 beeps, before or after the initial Windows screen.

Once you are in Windows (hopefully I can type well enough to walk you through this), go to the Start button and select "Control Panel". In Control Panel, select "System". On the System form, select the "Hardware" tab, from there press the "Device Manager" button. See if any of the devices listed do not look like the others (perhaps an inverted yield sign with an exclaimation point). My guess is (considering it sounds like Windows is detecting a fault) you will see at least one (Keyboard) and perhaps more (maybe a USB also which would explain why the wireless KB and mouse do not work). Let's focus on a keyboard for now.

Assuming you do have the inverted yield sign (or not), click on the Keyboard plus (+) sign, and then RIGHT click on the listed keyboard device, select "properties". On the screen that comes up, you can "update drivers", see if it can find an updated driver (may required Windows disk). If that does not work (AND you had the inverted yield sign), one other trick would be to remove the driver (you can do it from the screen we just looked at) and reboot (letting Windows detect and find a new driver for you).

(New line of thought): One other thing to try is, while booting (as soon as you turn it on), hit the F8 key on the keyboard over and over and over again and see if it keeps booting into Windows (once you get to the Welcome screen, stop hitting F8) or if it brings you to a screen that lets you select between normal and safe mode (and DOS as well) (stop hitting F8 if you get here too). If a menu comes up, the keyboard definitely works and there is a high probability that the keyboard driver in Windows is incorrect.

I know this is a lot of info, and I am taking a lot of guesses without being able to see the machine. I think you are very close, to getting a working machine, hang in there.

Oh yeah, a last resort (before trying to prove that the aerodynamic properties of a PC case are somewhat less than those of a frisbee), try reinstalling Windows.

Old 03-01-06, 05:18 PM
G
More progress

WHAT I DID:
I kept hitting F8 on power up. A screen came up:-
SELECT FIRST BOOT DEVICE
Floppy
IDE-0
IDE-1
CDROM
I chose IDE-0 at first and the keyboard worked. I then turned off the computer and chose IDE-1. The keyboard still worked afterwards.
Next, I went through the steps (seven clicks) that you recomended from the start button to properties. The device status said:- "This device is working properly". There were no inverted yield sign.
CURRENT STATUS:
Both corded keyboard and mouse are now working.
There are still two beeps at boot up.
The two beeps come before the Windows screen.
George

Old 03-02-06, 05:23 AM
D
So now, other than the beeps, is the computer working (it sounds like it is). If it is beeping, but no fatal error message (or any error message) it is real hard to tell. Someone did mention the beeps with AMI BIOS could be a memory issue (and it very well could be), but since it sounds like the computer is working, that doesn't make sense (I have seen memory issues primarily lock up the machine at boot or cause random reboots during operation, I have not experienced a machine that tells me there is a memory problem and operates "normally".

At this point, do you have any other concern other than the beeps? If not, I would start putting things back together, one component at a time (try wireless mouse, then keyboard, etc) until it is back to the way it was.

Side thought, do you have anything connected to USB? If the wireless was not working before, perhaps it is a USB issue that is causing the beeping and since you have nothing connected to USB now, things are working.

Old 03-02-06, 09:47 AM
W
2 short beeps on AMI is a memory parity error ( http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm ). The easiest thing to do is pull all memory sticks, clean the contacts with a pencil erasor (not a bad idea to pull the video card and clean its contacts too), then try booting with each stick alone, starting with largest one. You might have to try it in several slots to get it going as a single stick usually has to be in a specific slot.

Once you get a boot without beeps, add additional memory sticks one at a time until the beeps return. Throw away or replace the stick that gave the error.

Another option is to us Memtest86 to test your RAM. Its a free download and works very well. Again, you'll need to test sticks individually. http://www.memtest86.com/

Old 03-18-06, 10:10 AM
G
I replaced the batteries in the wireless keyboard and mouse and they are both working now. My only "problem" is that there are still two beeps on boot up. Since there are no error message or other problem, I will disregard the two beeps and be only concerned if a problem arises.
George

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: