External Drive-Free Space Not Correct

Old 02-18-06, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
External Drive-Free Space Not Correct

I have Norton Ghost 9.0 installed, and I decided to back up my C and D drive (system root and files) and save the backup on my F drive (300 GB) External Hard drive. I set up the backup to be a scheduled incremental backup. I didn't realize that I had to done a base backup and incremental – which would copy all that I had on Drive C and D which really took up space!

I found later that if I checked the box, which allows only 1 current set of backups, I would had been fine.

I set up the backup to be a scheduled incremental backup. I didn't realize that I had to done a base backup and incremental – which would copy all that I had on Drive C and D which really took up space!

I found later that if I checked the box, which allows only 1 current set of backups, I would had been fine.

I went to the Backup Image Browser and found the reason for the external hard drive to be low on space! I deleted the files not needed, after checking to make sure I didn’t delete anything important.

I manually deleted the backup files via Explorer from my D:\Backup folder (too big for recycle bin, just deleted) .

I am still showing 53 gig of free space when in fact I should have over 110 gig left!!

How do I RECOVER THE FREE SPACE and totally rid the backups that no longer exist on my external hard drive?

Windows XP Professional
3.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
2046 Megabytes Installed Memory
PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A [CD-ROM drive]
TEAC DV-516D [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Doug Aleshire [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0
USB 2.0 Storage Device USB Device [Hard drive] (300.07 GB) -- drive 1

c: (on drive 0) 41.94 GB 8.70 GB free
d: (on drive 0) 78.08 GB 26.95 GB free
f: (on drive 1) 300.07 GB 53 GB free

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-06, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Doug Aleshire
How do I RECOVER THE FREE SPACE and totally rid the backups that no longer exist on my external hard drive?
Thanks in advance!
Doug,
I recently purchased an 80 gig external drive specifically for backing up files......
I had a slightly different problem in that even though it showed up in "My Computer" as an 80 gig drive; I could never complete a back-up because it said there wasn't enough free space. The back-up should have easily fit in the new 80 gig drive!

The problem was that I did not initially format the new drive. It came from the manufacturer formatted in FAT 32. When I reformatted the drive to NTSF it corrected this problem.
Might be the same problem for you?
Phil

Old 02-18-06, 07:45 PM
Phil,

Question is how do I format it for that?

It came with a download (installer disk) that was for MAC users, otherwise this was a plug and play unit, my computer recognized the new hardware and I have never had a problem.

Any ideas?

Old 02-18-06, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Doug Aleshire
Phil,

Question is how do I format it for that?

It came with a download (installer disk) that was for MAC users, otherwise this was a plug and play unit, my computer recognized the new hardware and I have never had a problem.

Any ideas?
Doug,
For now just go into "My Computer" and right click on your "F" drive and select "format"
The window that pops up will tell you if it's formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. You do not have to format, you can click cancel!

If you decide to reformatt, remember you will lose all your data on that drive.
Phil

Old 02-18-06, 11:15 PM
Philossifer,

I did what you asked and it is in NTFS.

I have a software program called Disk Pie Pro. I checked Drive F and found 113 gig of a file called "Recycler"

Upon further review, I found that it is holding those incremental and backup files that I don't need! They all are associated with the Norton Ghost backups.

Again when using My Computer, clicked on Drive F, the files that I backed up, of Drive C and Drive D are there in individiual files. I cannot find anything saying "Recycler".

So now what? How can I get rid of "Recycler" and reclaim the 113 gig?

Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-19-06, 12:40 AM
tae
Info on recycler:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171694/EN-US/
When you delete a file in Windows NT Explorer or My Computer, the file is stored in the Recycle Bin. The file remains in the Recycle Bin until you empty the Recycle Bin or restore the file.

The Recycler folder is used only on NTFS partitions. The Recycler folder contains a Recycle Bin for each user that logs on to the computer, sorted by their security identifier (SID).

Getting rid of files in recycler:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229041/EN-US/

Old 02-19-06, 06:49 AM
Problem Solved!!

Tae,

Found out some interesting stuff.

The Recycler is a recycle bin. With Norton System Works 2005, which has Ghost 9.0, the recycle bin is not just the standard recycle bin. It is now called Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

When you are in Desktop, you right click on the now called "Norton Protected Recycle Bin". You not only see Empty Recycle Bin which I use regularily but also Empty Norton Protected Files.

Even though I had deleted the backups and incremental that I no longer wanted, and it still showed that the external hard drive had very little free space as it should had been, right -clicking the Empty Norton Protected files showed a new window that tells you how many files are Norton Protected. In also has 3 buttons, Purge Yours, Purge All and Cancel.

I can't explain the exact description of the Purging but lets put it this way, I clicked Purge Yours and the free space that I had at 53 gig now went to 116 gig FREE!

I rebotted, checked all programs that I use including getting on the Web and accessing the sites that require sign in (which I have them pre-programmed with member name and password, and finally went to My Computer and checked what was in Drive C,D and F. All works great and even faster than before!!

Without reformating, going through the "hoops" via MS problem resolution instructions, my issue has been resolved!!

Hope this helps others!