RAM performance?

Old 02-21-06, 10:59 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RAM performance?

I have two- 256 samsung ram's. When I check my computer specs only 224 mb are working? I know both rams are set up and running, at least I think. My computer acts pretty fast and I checked the connections myself and everything was working fine. How do I increase my RAM performance withing my computer so that it performs better?
Thanks

Old 02-21-06, 11:15 AM
R
Where are you getting the figure 224 from?

Does your system use the same RAM for video memory? Some cheaper systems with built in video use some of the system memory for video, reducing the amount available for the OS.

Old 02-21-06, 04:57 PM
W
The 224 is from system information under my computer. Also, I ran a diagnostic to play a game and I needed 256 ram, but it said only 224 ram so it insufficient to play it correctly. I just don't get it, I have 512 hooked up?? I don't know if it running video, how would I find out?

Old 02-21-06, 06:38 PM
R
If your computer is an inexpensive computer and if the motherboard has built in video, then the video most likely shares the system RAM.

I suspect that you either don;t have the memory installed you think you do, or that one of the memory devices is not installed properly.

What does the BIOS tell you is installed when you boot up?

Old 02-21-06, 07:18 PM
tae
if you have 512 installed, and you see 224, are you sure thats not the page file usage?
look in windows task manager:control/alt/delete performance tab.

FAQ: Why does my System Properties dialog box show less RAM than the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) does when my system starts up?

Windows provides a lot of information about hardware, and the General tab of the System Properties dialog box is where it lists details about the CPU and memory. (In Windows XP, open the Control Panel, click Performance And Maintenance, and select System.) Ideally, Windows should report the same amount of RAM that you saw during the initial BIOS memory count (in those few moments when the system starts and before the OS [operating system] loads). If Windows reports significantly less RAM than the BIOS does, chances are your system's integrated video adapter is setting aside 32MB to 64MB for the video buffer (older PCs may take only 8MB to 16MB). When you install a separate AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) video card, it won't use any of the primary system RAM because its video memory resides on the video card itself. Therefore, you'll recover that "missing" RAM if you install an AGP video card.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: