windows update question

Old 02-25-06, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
windows update question

I tried to open WINDOWS UPDATE to checkout the updates. Windows update only gets to the
window that says."checking for updates" and just sits there for 4-5 minutes and does nothing. I have to ctrl+del. to get out of the window. qany advice would be appreciated. Don't have any other programs running.
Thanks

Old 02-25-06, 03:54 PM
I
First what version windows are you running? Second, are you running any type of anti-virus or anti-spyware software? There are some viruses/spyware that cause problems with windows update. Also, what type of internet connection and what speed computer are you using. When I was on dialup, windows update could type a couple of minutes to do anything. I have also found that on older / slower computers it takes a lot longer to load. One last question, in Task Manager is the application running or not responding? I would try letting it sit for 15 minutes or more to see if anything happens or if you get any type of error message.

-mike

Old 02-25-06, 05:18 PM
Hello ironhead,

i'm running windows XP home,internet explorer,512. task manager says "not responding".

Old 02-25-06, 05:45 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
have you ever run the msoft validation process? disabled anti virus and pop up blockers ? if you are running beta close out as many owner requested applications as you can. also check what the "system" is running. if you're on dial up, do you see the two small monitors blinking ?

Old 02-25-06, 07:12 PM
I'm on DSL. I been trying to work around this. Maybe its a anti-virus program.
I finally got a error msg. this last time i tried to get into MS update. this is the error msg.
0X8024D00C. Will pursue this tomorrow.
thanks

Old 02-25-06, 07:31 PM
J
First off, as crazy as it sounds, if an item is processing information it will sometimes report as 'not responding'. You can confirm this by opening a 10MB+ file in notepad...when it is reading the file it will report as not responding.

Second, I have seen the windows update process take a long time. I would start it and step away for an hour. Not that it needs an hour but if you don't worry about it then it will finish (a watched pot never boils ). If it is still running after an hour kill it like you have and you might consider a repair of Internet Explorer. You can also go to a command prompt and delete everything from c:\windows\downloaded program files. If you do this it will reinsall the win update software the next time you visit. Don't do the delete through windows, you won't get as much.

Since Win Update interacts and uses the 'Automatic updates' service check the windows event log for errors if it doesn't finish after an hour

Old 02-25-06, 08:37 PM
tae
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
CAUSE
This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:
Log file or database corruption exists in the %Systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 folder.
Cryptographic Services is set to disabled.
Other Windows files are corrupted or missing.
The timestamp signature or certificate could not be verified or is malformed.
The hidden attribute set is for the %Windir% folder or one of its subfolders.
The Unsigned non-driver installation behavior Group Policy setting (Windows 2000 only) is set to Do not allow installation or Warn but allow installation, or the Policy binary value is not set to 0 in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Non-Driver Signing
The Enable trusted publisher lockdown Group Policy setting is turned on, and you do not have the appropriate certificate in your Trusted Publishers certificate store. This Group Policy setting is located under User Configuration, under Windows Settings, under Internet Explorer Maintenance, under Security, under Authenticode Settings in the Group Policy MMC snap-in.
You are installing Internet Explorer 6 SP1, and the 823559 (MS03-023) security update is installed.

crypto service:
Start>Run>type services.msc and press OK.

Old 02-26-06, 04:36 AM
Thanks folks. will try everything out today. Much appreciated for your help.
daswede

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: