Old 02-27-06, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question JAVA, .... what is for?

Hi:
I've been overwhelmed 'JAVA,' since some problem started due to 'JAVA,'
about which I posted previously.

So now, ... I would like to know, ...
(1) What is JAVA for, or about JAVA?
(2) Why is JAVA important to run the program?
(3) Is JAVA similar to 'Adobe Reader' which needs constant
upgrade, ... almost yearly basis.
(4) Any other things as to 'JAVA' would be really appreciated.

Because, I went to the JAVA site, but only I found was 'downloading'
with a bit explanation about JAVA.
But, I want to know about 'Purpose' of JAVA, because this program,
'JAVA,' one of my family members having SO much trouble to get things done.

Thanks for your help, ... ALWAYS, ...
PineCone

Old 02-27-06, 05:59 PM
B
Its a computer language used on personal computers and servers. It can produce very clean and efficent code.

What you are missing from your computer (either deleted or corrupted) are the parts common to all computer programs that are unique to your computer hardware. In a very simplified sense, they do things like read/write the RAM, work with the processor chips, etc.

Does it have to be updated? Generally no.

Old 03-01-06, 10:16 AM
C
It is basically a system to run standard advanced on a variety of platforms, so a software developer has to develop a piece of software only once, and it will run on other machines, with the assistance of a Virtual Machine, which translates the "universal" code into code specific for the machine it is running on. The Virtual Machine is periodically updated, to add features and remove bugs., just like most any other software.

Old 03-01-06, 02:58 PM
Wink Thanks, ... but it's hard to get it

Hi:
Thanks for your response along with the invaluable knowledge on this, 'Java.'

However, I can NOT get some of stuff about which you're talking,

(1) What is 'virtual machine?' Is this to be like a test machine to run a programmar worked on it?

(2) Is 'JAVA' similar to 'code reading' that has some 'security program?'

For me/the family, ... 'Java' thing is quite tough to understand, ... probably needs some education
to understand about 'Java.' He has a degree, but naive in the field of the computer technical matters.

The company he's been working is located in the far end of 'West Coast,' while we, the family
living in the East Coast. Then, there are many, many 'field office's the company set-up. It's
one of biggest one in this region where we live.

But, most of folks who has been working is 'quiet' to say the least, ... then we, the family needs
to learn those 'technical' stuff on our own. It's sometime hard for us, then if you'd know some
good books to read and learn about tech.thing, could you advise me what book should I purchase
for reading and learning those 'techinical' things?

Thanks, ... ALWAYS,
PineCone

Old 03-01-06, 06:20 PM
tae
Old 03-01-06, 09:06 PM
B
Java is a computer language.

What is confusing you is the architecture of a computer, not JAVA itself. What you are seeing is a reference to a set of computer programs written in JAVA.
Lets take an application like an email program. You compose the email. As you type, it is stored in RAM. How that RAM is accessed varies from computer to computer. HP does it different than IBM which is different than Sony, etc. Even XP is not the same as Windows ME or win 98.
The people that write the code for your email program can't keep up with all the differences. To make it easy, we have a set of programs tailored for each computer. The email program tells another program to "put this into memory". The JAVA you were told about is the specific java code in your computer that puts it into memory. That is only one small piece. The "JAVA" does a ot of other tasks, too.

I'm trying to come up with an analogy. Need to give that some thought.

Old 03-02-06, 11:03 AM
I
As others have saide JAVA is a programming language meaning programmers use it to create different kinds of programs and web pages. It allows someone to write a program / webpage that can be run on different types of computers and operating systems. There are essentially two parts to the JAVA platform. First is the programming language which is used to actually code and compile the program. The other is the JAVA Runtime Environment which is installed on individual systems and allows them to run / execute JAVA programs. There are different JREs for different types of systems. The JRE is needed anytime you want to run a program or access a web page that was written using the JAVA programming language. While it is not always neccessary to keep JAVA updated, it is updated fairly often and it is a good idea for the greatest stability.

Here are a couple of other links with more explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_programming_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_platform

If you are having problems running a JAVA program or opening a JAVA webpage, try uninstalling the JRE and downloading and installing the newest one.

-Mike
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: