How to Get to BIOS

Old 02-27-06, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Get to BIOS

I have an emachines H2642. According to their web site, I should be able to access BIOS by pressing DELETE after I see the emachines logo on boot up. This just pauses/crashes the startup or proceeds directly to Windows.

Is there another key combination?

(I found a couple of sites that suggested TAB, Ctrl-S or Ctrl Esc but they did not work)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-06, 02:54 PM
The "window of opportunity" is sometimes quite small. Meaning, you have 2-3 seconds in which to push the correct key. Don't rely on 'when' to push it. Just push it once a second from power up until you get into the bios or windows starts. If windows starts then it is the wrong key. Sometimes it is F8, F10, F11, even F2 or F3. Most of the time it's Delete.

Good luck

Old 02-27-06, 04:20 PM
MD is right, you have to catch it just perfect. As it starts to boot just keep pressing DEL as fast as you can. You'll get it eventually, may take a couple tries. Each manufacturer's bios uses a different key, if the website says DEL, that's the one. That would be an Award bios I believe.

Old 02-27-06, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
MD is right, you have to catch it just perfect. As it starts to boot just keep pressing DEL as fast as you can. You'll get it eventually, may take a couple tries. Each manufacturer's bios uses a different key, if the website says DEL, that's the one. That would be an Award bios I believe.
Y e ah OK b ut it makes i t har d to c h e k fo r me ssagges

Oh, you mean WHILE it's booting?

OK, I'll try again. Press fast right? I've been holding the key down ... maybe that's the trouble.

Will keep you posted.

Old 02-28-06, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Editor
Y e ah OK b ut it makes i t har d to c h e k fo r me ssagges

Oh, you mean WHILE it's booting?

OK, I'll try again. Press fast right? I've been holding the key down ... maybe that's the trouble.

Will keep you posted.
Yea, while its booting, start pushing as soon as you hear the machine make noise. my kids' PC is an eMachines and it boots extremely fast, likely yours is the same way. Be sure to turn your monitor on before you power up pc and watch it closely as you are hitting the DEL key. Holding it down will probably not work, push over and over again.

ps- once you get in there be real sure you know what you are changing. Always write down the original setting before you change it. the wrong choice in the bios can hose things up real good.