New Construction - To Wire Or Not To Wire

Old 03-02-06, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Construction - To Wire Or Not To Wire

New Poster so hi and thanks for the help. I am buying a new home that is starting construction in April. I am trying to decide whether to run wire for internet throughout the whole house or use wireless. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-06, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by walter_hedingly
New Poster so hi and thanks for the help. I am buying a new home that is starting construction in April. I am trying to decide whether to run wire for internet throughout the whole house or use wireless. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Well, you're not exactly wiring for internet, you're wiring for network connectivity. Internet will come in, depending on what kind of service you end up with, on either a phone line or coaxial cable to a modem (cable or DSL). The best way is to go from there to a router which will then distrubute conectivity to your various network ports.

I would wire the house with cat 5 ethernet cable, get top of the line cables of course. The expense should be fairly small since it'll be open framing. In my opinion ethernet is far more reliable and secure than wireless. Admittedly, wireless is getting better with each year though.

Old 03-02-06, 11:08 AM
You want to wire each room with at least two cat 5 cables and two RG6 cables. Personally, I would go 4 cat 5 and two satellite. LKarge rooms get two or more sets. Run all these wires to a wiring cabinet.

Old 03-02-06, 11:26 AM
schutzengel
Visiting Guest
Yes run now,

WEP and WPA can be cracked easily within 30 minutes, and ethernet is faster as well.
CAT6 cable costs about $150 per 1000' and that should be enough to wire your entire house
run all of the wiring to a central location, this will be where you put your router & modem. ensure you rin a wire out to your DMark location for either cable or phones ( for DSL )

total cost i usually estimate @ $30 per jack ( this is for wire and a good quality CAT6 jack and faceplate and a patch panel to connect it to at the home end )

Old 03-02-06, 01:11 PM
Sounds great. Thanks. Since it is a tract home, the builder is using a outside company that wants $1700 to do this. I know i can do it cheaper later (i think). maybe i can wire after the house is finished and save some money

Old 03-02-06, 02:59 PM
It would be 10 times easier to do before the drywall is put up...

Old 03-03-06, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by walter_hedingly
Wire the house. A wired network is faster and more secure than wireless, and I don't see that changing soon.

That being said, if you can wire when you have bare studs in the house, that would be ideal. I just completed pulling structured wiring in our new home this morning. I did not have to option to pull wire during construction, so I had to do it the hard way. My home is single story with full basement, so cutting in "old work" boxes and pulling the wire was not too difficult.

You don't have to spend a fortune either. I've got less than $500.00 in my system. I ran one RG6, and a pair of cat5e's to each room. Everything runs to the wiring enclosure in the basement.

Instead of buying the high-dollar structured wiring box, I bought a couple of cheap 100A main lug electrical panels and gutted the electrical stuff out of them and used those for enclosures. I did line the inside of the boxes with 3/8" ply to make mounting components easier.

You can go elaborate or basic with your system, it just depends on what you need now, and what you think you might need in the future. Build your system with expansion in mind, you never know what you might want to add down the road.

Good Luck,
Joe Michel

Old 03-03-06, 07:03 PM
If you cannot do it when the walls are open, here is a link to my project of running the cables in an existing house. http://k4ay.org/cat5.html

Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-06, 03:16 PM
what I did

Cat 6 everywhere for networking, all terminated in a utility room.
Cat 5 for whole house audio, all terminated in a utility room.
Coax, all terminated in a utility room.

What I should have done if money was no object is to run a 2 cat5 to every coax location, and an additional coax.

I also have wireless.