Xp Home Crash

Old 03-03-06, 10:52 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Xp Home Crash

Back in 2004 I installed XP Home SP1 on my DELL P4. Few months latter I installed SP2 from a CD included in a computer magazine and the system has been working really well since. In the last few weeks I have been installing various utilities for system backup / optimization / virus checking etc. and since I noticed a performance decrease I decided to un install all the new utilities and re install XP to fix things up. Five minutes after the XP CD SP1 started installing the new files I got a message that the installation can’t proceed and the system hang. I re install the system with the Bart PE CD and two backup CD’s I had and it worked, bringing my system where it was before. After that, the system asked for the SP2 CD to restore some drivers, I did that, and now all seems okay except that on the Windows directory I have a new 10 MB directory named “WinSxS” with many sub directories “x86_policy.1…., x86_Microsoft…… etc. I try to delete them and some I can but some I can’t delete and after I delete some the system asks again for the SP2 CD (not the XP SP1 CD). Do you now where this “WinSxS” directory came from and how I can delete it? Thank you

Old 03-03-06, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
when you re install the xp you did not clear the registry keys.
the only way to make a good clean installation is to format the disc

good luck

Old 03-03-06, 11:17 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That folder stores various versions of DLL files in an attempt to avoid version conflicts. XP created and maintains it.

You really should just leave it alone. The disk space you regain by deleting portions of it will not be worth the trouble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: