poor video quality

Old 03-05-06, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
poor video quality

I have a HP Pavilion XV886 computer. It orginally came with ME installed. Recently, I have noticed that anything on the desktop has what appears to be a "smear, streak" or "shadow" to the right and left of it, most noticably to the right. Pictures displayed on the desktop seem to be good quality and it is slightly noticed as a white shadow to the right of the icons on the desktop. It is clearly noticible on a blank word document page on on any window open that has text on it. I have been on the online chat with the HP support desk and they have been very helpful but was wondering if anyone hear had had a similar problem and if so what is the solution. I orginally thought the monitor was going bad and purchased a new one, no luck. I hated the performance offered by ME and up graded to XP Pro still no luck. With the help of HP support I installed new/updated video drivers and the problem persists. I am now thinking the video card itself may be bad or I need to download an update for the BIOs that is on the HP site but their service techs havent said anything about do that and I dont know if would have any affect on the problem or not. If I dont resolve the issue soon I guess my only option will be to take it in to a shop. I am not sure when this problem started because of my dislike for the old operating system I only used it occassionally, my kids did play some games on it so I dont know if something they have installed created the problem. After installing XP all that stuff was removed, in fact just about everything was so I am basicallly starting from scratch.

Any suggestons will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-06, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
You seem to have eliminated the prime suspects except for the video card. I would beg, borrow, or buy a cheap card and give it a try.

My $.02 worth.

Old 03-05-06, 07:41 AM
Thanks,
I thought that was about my only option left and can do it myself just wanted confirmation from someone here rather that send it to the shop and pay them to do something I can do myself.

One more question, in the process of upgrading to XP I seem to have delete the "My documents" folder that I had on ME. Is it stored somewhere that I can recover it or is it gone for good?

Old 03-06-06, 06:40 AM
Is this an LCD screen?

I have often noticed a blurring effect on some LCD screens if they have a refresh rate that is set too high. Most LCDs seem to operate optimally at 60 Hz (although I'm far from an expert, just my observation). Play around with the refresh rate setting, and see if that helps any.

Old 03-06-06, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by air biscuit
Is this an LCD screen?

I have often noticed a blurring effect on some LCD screens if they have a refresh rate that is set too high. Most LCDs seem to operate optimally at 60 Hz (although I'm far from an expert, just my observation). Play around with the refresh rate setting, and see if that helps any.
If it is not an LCD it may be the cable to the monitor has a broken connection in it. Sometimes you can tell by wiggling the cable at the connection to the pc or the entry to the monitor.

Old 03-06-06, 12:17 PM
Problem was there on the old non-LCD screen, and the new LCD has new cable so that is not the issue. I have e-mailed microsoft & HP tech support to see if they have any suggestons.

Old 03-06-06, 02:20 PM
LCD monitors look best @ 1280x1024 resolution. anything lower than 1024X768 is going to give a crappy looking picture. But if problem was there using a CRT monitor then I am not sure.

Old 03-09-06, 12:38 PM
The problem was the video/graphics card, I replaced it and everything is working fine, thanks for all the suggestions.