not detecting hard drive

Old 03-07-06, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not detecting hard drive

Oh I think I have screwed things up here.... after getting wrong info from the IT department at my wifes work we finally got the right equipment to run 2 computers here at home... it was suppose to be wireless but because my wife would be connecting to the hospital she needed a secure connection.. anyways its working the way we want it too using ethernet cables... My problem is that after all of this my desktop wouldn't boot up I was getting a messsage during boot up something about checksums corrupt files not sure it flashed really quick and computer shuts down and starts back up and repeats... I ended up reinstalling xp pro but now during boot up I see where its says primary master not detected and everything boots up and wroks fine but my OS is on a 6 GB hard drive and my 40 GB hard drive is not detecting...
If anyone knows what went wrong and if I can just get the 40 gb drive to detect I would be happy.
Thanks Gord

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-06, 11:29 AM
Hmm

I'm assuming both hard drives were originally in the computer before this happened.

Its very possible your 40gb hard drive took a dump on you...

I would check the hard drive cables, swap a new one in if possible as well as
check the jumper settings on the drive. Your 40 (if you want your OS on this one) should be
set to Master, and your 6gb hard drive should be set to Slave. You can also set both the drives to "Cable Select" and put the 40gb at the end of the cable. However if the drives are different brands, there is a slight chance cable select wont work.

Old 03-07-06, 11:55 AM
yes both hard drives were on the computer and the 40 gb is set to master but when it in the boot up screen it says primary master is not detected... I will try changing cables and see but beyond that I think I best just take it in before I do too much damage..
Appreciate the reply thanks
Gord

Old 03-07-06, 11:56 AM
Assuming it was originally in there and working, a cable is the most likely problem. Remove and reseat ribbon cable on both ends, remove and reseat power cable to drive.

Also go into your bios and see if its detected there. There's probably an auto-detect feature you can try running.

Old 03-07-06, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Assuming it was originally in there and working, a cable is the most likely problem. Remove and reseat ribbon cable on both ends, remove and reseat power cable to drive.

Also go into your bios and see if its detected there. There's probably an auto-detect feature you can try running.
I unplugged and reseated ribbon cable and tried the auto detect in bios and it is not detecting there either.. I have my suspicion thats its just a loose connection somewhere as I did install a pci Ehernet adapter to hook up this router but I do remember when i was reinstalling windows seeing the both drives there but after the installation of windows it was gone...
if it was the 6 gb drive missing I wouldn't worry tooo much but the 40 gives me some space to load up some programs...
I keep trying to see if i can find any loose connections
thanks Gord

Old 03-07-06, 05:44 PM
Be sure the ribbon cables are in correctly (there's usually an indicator of which hole is for pin 1). Some will only go one way, others will go either way but only one way will work.

Old 03-08-06, 11:51 PM
Unhook hard drive all cables.Than start up than turn off . rehook up cables and power up. See if it reads hard drive.

Last edited by our442; 03-09-06 at 08:38 PM.